7 pin plug and cycle carrier

Finally got round to rigging up the bike to the NC and all seems super solid. Went for a drive to test how stable the carrier was, tbh my biggest concern was the boot lid being ripped off but all seemed pretty solid.

I’m wondering if there is a way for the anchor straps to hook onto the lip behind the hood rather than boot but doesn’t seem to be acute enough to take the strap hook… I’ll have a play around.

The 7 pin plug was wired in by a local auto electrician on a separate relay and stores nicely in the boot.

Not sure about the halfords price light board I might replace it with a propper one with better lights. But will do for now.

Ready for Bike Park Wales action! !

3 Likes

Aluminium boot lid on the soft top, I believe.

That would worry me…

Yes I’ve also ordered the straps that go into the boot and have big plastic cylinders on the end so in theory should take the immediate strain off the sides of the boot lid but will see what it looks and feels like.

The bike only weighs around 10 to 12 kg with wheels off so not very heavy at all. Pretty sure I’ve see mx5s with heavier cases strapped to the boot!

But other than that was absolutely solid… much more so than other bike racks I’ve used and seen. The Saris bones is definitely a good choice !

1 Like

I was thinking that about boot bags or racks laden with heavy luggage. A lightweight bike frame no problem I guess.:+1:

1 Like

Big plastic cylinders sounds good.
No wheels and just one light frame has to help as well.

1 Like

Yes the wheels are on the passenger seat… I’ve got wheel bags to keep the seats clean! Haha

All in all the bike is around 15 kg with wheels on so still firmly light… but increased angles from the rack can of course cause increase leverage, but the rack sits super plumb and as close to the car as you can get.

I’ll let you know if if falls off on the way to Wales… Where there’s a will, there’s a way!!

1 Like

Some sort of paint coordination going on with these True Reds.
Nice car.:+1:

I was actually thinking of changing the head rests covers from Red to Black but it’s grown on me now and loving the red accents!

Definitely some twinning going on!

2 Likes

I’m not a keen cyclist:-) but if I was this looks like a very neat solution!

1 Like

Yes… I have a propper thule bike rack on the family wagon… but convinced the wife it was a good idea to buy a 2 seater for a second car… so now have to make it work !

good to see you have the correct lighting board,
not a trailer one that has the big triangular reflectors

1 Like

Yes I read about the different between the 2 so was careful when selecting. It’s still pretty basic and no where near the brightness of the actual lights but at least keeps me legal when on road trips!

Thanks Jc12 for sharing.

How do you run the 7 pin plug to the board? Just under the boot lid? I bought a Saris too, then started looking at getting a 7 pin socket under the car. But then I read about the boot lid not being very strong so haven’t dared use it again, especially as I was hoping to use it with two mtb’s plus wheels.
Could be fine for a road bike or two though so would be great to hear how you get on and hope it’s all positive :smiley:

1 Like

Hiya… i run the wire from the board directly through the boot openning… not ideal i know but the lid closes well and doesnt seem to be causing any damage to the seal. I havnt tested it our in full rain but as its at the back i cant imagine too much leakage through that into the boot.

Yes the strength and durability of the lid definitely is the main concern, however… so far it has been ok…

I am however, looking at how I can strengthen the middle of the bootlid where the leg of the Saris Bones meets the lid… this seems to be where the most flex happens… Im thinking some form of enforced rubber map or “large solid mouse mat” style thing to help dissipate the pressure… plus hopefully reduce the risk of rub as well . Ill keep you updated on that side of things.

I guess strapping anything to your boot is a risk so I cant be 100% sure its 100% safe! All I can do is load it properly and to the best I feel it can be!! Personally I wouldnt put more than 1 bike on … especially if like my enduro bike… and DEFINITELY not with all wheels on!

1 Like