'98 NB, probably an import?

Hey all,

Was looking at this mx the other day (brother has owned a couple, so I know some rough basics) but i’m new to the UK and the rules here.

I’ve found what looks like a very early NB, which I believe to be imported (VIN sticker says JD destination?). There isn’t any documentation about the importing and it also has these 3 stickers in the door jam too, could they be mileage when imported?

VIN Sticker:
VIN Sticker

Other Stickers:

Any and all info appreciated.

Considering white was never sold in the UK, I’d say that gives it away

Yes it’s an import, nothing wrong with that though. Condition is the most important thing on an NB.

Gra

Yeah, i did plenty of research first, so i know about the rust issues.

It’s actually rather solid, i think having a hard top most of its life has helped protect the sils. but still has some light surface rust around the place, as expected.

Looking at the sticker it’s a 1.6 special package 

Yeah, it matches up with it having all the electrics… so maybe it has a LSD too (hopefully).

Usually have square number plate on rear and Japanese writing on sun visors. Not sure if UK models have it but indicators on wrong side. Dash could still be in kms

1 Like

NB6s never had LSD unless it was the track edition, which this isn’t.

If imported recently, likely much better rotwise than a UK car. If imported some time ago, then look for rot like any other.

Seats are also a giveaway; UK early Mk2 seats had a seperate headrest, imports had highback buckets.

Well, I ended up buying it. So Thanks everyone for your input.

It has the square rear plate, but English on the sunvisors (could have been swapped?)
It does have indicators on the near sides, but that is “normal” for me.
and it does have the 1 piece high back seats.

I’ve still seen some references to the jap version 1.6’s could get LSD’s (see here: http://ox.mx5oc.co.uk/guide-eunosold.htm )

Mk1 (NA6) Eunos Roadsters mostly had viscous LSDs fitted, which Mazda referred to as a sport differential, due to the lack of lock up. Many are non functional now due to deterioration of the silicone oil in the clutch pack. Thrussington Garage (Mike Comber Racing) are able to get these reconditioned.

The NR-A-Limited was a Japan-only 2002 NB-FL  (facelifted) model based on the 1.6, aimed at a clubman racing series in Japan. It was essentially a 1.6 model, optioned with the S-Special chassis upgrades, and NB8 bracing/brakes, and the Torsen LSD. Owners could have the car in road trim, or have factory fitted racing seats and roll cage.

Wow, that’s an awesome find you have there of all the brochures!

But, while I appreciate that mk1’s for a while had VLSD’s, This car is a NB/ MK2, so not really as relevant.

What I did find though, was the '98 brochure for the NB, which includes what options were on the Special package for 1.6’s. (it also has a section before talking about Torsen diffs)

It basically says this:

So i’m still going forward thinking it’s got that non-VLSD, even though it’s a 1.6L
Ultimately, the idea would be to test what I actually have, but seeing as its MOT ran out, might be a little while before I get a chance to try things.

Well, looks like i don’t have to worry about if it was a Torsen or not anyway… Looks like it had an upgrade already.
Sticker reads:

Limited slip differential equipped car
Cusco MZ type RS
- Do not raise one wheel and idle the tire
- When replacing the oil … Please use OIL dedicated to limited slip differential

You might be looking for a track car, but when seeing that indicating a clutch diff, I would check under the carpets behind the seats, and look for evidence of 3 extra drilled holes behind each seat. Cars like this often had roll cages fitted. There is a market in Japan for rental track cars.

Good afternoon I have found this thread as I am tracing the background of my car hoping to figure a valuation out. I have been in touch with Mazda Japan and I have the following information. The car was manufactured Xmas day 97 and was manufactured for the Japan market. It is an evolution orange Roadster S with additional full Aero parts add on which is original from the dealer at the time of manufacture. It has 1.6L Double Overhead Cam, 5 speed transmission, 4 wheel disc braking system, Limited slip differential. It does have lowered Eibach suspension, and a set of original Desmond Regamaster super lightweight forged alloys. The condition is good, a trolley ding here and there and rust is very minimal, one cill replaced. I bought the car in 2001 directly from Japan and imported it into Cyprus then from Cyprus to here. I have owned it since. Any ideas on both sales value and insurance value please?

1 Like

When a vehicle is imported into a country, it is usually assigned a new VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), which may be different from the original VIN listed in the documents of another country. This new VIN is usually shown on the vehicle’s registration papers in the new country. If there is a VIN sticker in the doorway of your car, it may indicate that the car was already registered in another country before it was imported into the UK. VIN stickers may also contain information about where the car was manufactured, its model and configuration.