A boot rack next time?

…probably better to start a fresh post as you will get more specific advice…

Also would not advise adding your own e-mail, the forum gives people the opportunity to “pm” you through the forum anyway…

…and apols I can’t help you with the answer to your problem but I am sure somebody will be able to…

…the more I look, the more the boot bag option seems to be the best solution. If lock down ever finishes I will be getting one!

We’ve had hols in the NC in England, Scotland, France and the lakes.

Clothes - we each have 1 airline luggage bag for clothes, mostly supplied by Craghoppers etc. so made to foll/roll up. A pair of boots each in boot bags. I leave the SLR behind and take a compact camera, goes into a small rucksack along with binoculars, chargers etc. All of this stuff goes into the boot along with anything else that can squeeze into odd corners. Coats draped on top. Maps, spare shoes, slippers etc go behind the seats. Books to read go into the locker behind the drivers seat (the one behind tha passenger seat has hi-viz jackets, breathalyers and stuff that is needed for emergencies or in France). Shop at the last minute near the destination, shopping (2 or 3 days worth) goes in small bags on rear parcel shelf. Except last week, went to the Lakes for a week in the Skoda 'cos we couldn’t rely on being able to get shopping without going into crowded shops so elected to take a weeks worth of food in the car!

1 Like

Revo rack? We did a trip to the Italian lakes a couple of years ago with 6 other Mx-5’s, one had a Revo rack. It didn’t fall off! It did have a safety/security cable or strap that went into the boot so if the worst happened it shouldn’t end up bouncing down the road.

I’d still go with a boot bag. It’s not great having luggage on view in the car, but if you stop at a service area for example I’d be happier unclipping a boot bag and putting it inside that leaving a rack/luggage on or putting the whole lot in the car. I guess the rack would be OK for hard luggage if for some reason you wanted to use that.

There’s a lot to be said for working with what you have if you can cut down to a bootful of luggage:)

I have a boot bag that I would be willing to sell - it is in perfect condition (50litre).

…yes interested…have sent you a pm…

Revo boot rack

Pretty compelling arguments for the boot bag so far, and for the sort of touring I’m likely to do next year (covid allowing), it sounds hard to beat.

In saying that, I plan to order a Revo boot rack instead. Just got a feeling that it will give a slightly greater degree of flexibility over future use.

We went to Inverness in my 91 mk1 from essex for a week, boot rack and totally waterproof bag bought from go outdoors, didn’t actually need anything in the boot except the wifes shoes :+1:

1 Like

Have toured Spain and Portugal twice for three weeks each time with only the boot filled.
Suggest forget completely about food and put a couple of muesli bars in for if the shops aren’t open

I don’t know about the other models but on the mark 3 soft top there is a huge amount of wasted space underneath the hood shelf. It’s a bit heath robinson but if you need the space and don’t mind the cabin looking a little bit stig of the dump for your trip you can remove the vertical panel behind the seats giving easy access. From memory it is similar in size to the boot. Fill it with your soft items and it’ll probably be quieter in the cabin too. You will lose the wind deflector as this relies on the panel for it’s mounting.

Alternate access whilst keeping the panel in place would be to remove the back of the cubby behind the drivers or passenger seats so the flaps give you access to the space. Might need mr tickle length arms though

1 Like

Not sure where you are but I saw a boot rack for sale on the MX5 Solent Facebook page, if you can’t see it message me and I will look. x

1 Like

Surely a MK1 boot isn’t big enough for ladies to take enough shoes for a weeks holiday? :astonished:

1 Like

Boot bag, I have same problem with wife’s shoes, Ipads, etc, I have been on many trips with it attached and had no trouble at all, nice and easy to fit about 10 minutes, also a suitcase will fit in the bag along with the many shoes the wife wants to take.

Picture attched.

2 Likes

:+1: My wife and I are down in Dorset at the moment , and we live in North Essex, but I’ll keep my eyes open as a well priced rack and waterproof bag would still work for the next trip

If you’re travelling alone it is possible to fit eleven reusable shopping bags plus sundry other items in an ND. With a boot bag as well; I was surprised how much I’d fitted in when I unpacked from Cornwall, I was still over an hour quicker back from Ilminster where I’d stopped convoying with the rest of the family and dog…