A nice little run for charity - 10,000 miles - 18 countries!

A good friend of mine Ryan and three of his mates, two Brits, two Aussies are doing the Mongol Rally 2017. They describe the route as -

Our very rough route (just head east) will start with a quick ferry to France, driving down through Europe, across Turkey to Georgia and Armenia. Then the real fun begins as we travel across Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakstan, Russia and Mongolia. We expect that this will take us around 6 weeks as long as we don’t get lost too much, have major car trouble or get detained by the authorities in any country along the way.

So when we FINALLY complete this journey…….we are going to turn the car around and drive it back home to the UK through Russia!  Hopefully ‘Terry’ will get us back home in one piece.

The ‘Terry’ that they talk of is their chosen transport, a Daihatsu Terios. Not sure if they really know what the are letting themselves in for. If it all goes well I’m sure they will have the journey of a lifetime.

They are funding the trip all themselves and raising money for prostate cancer charities both in the UK and Australia. If you want to make a donation then it would be very much appreciated. They are also open to offers for advertising space on the car if you want to promote your business in Iran or Kazakstan, hey, stranger things have happened.

Here’s the link to their Just Giving page which also has more info on their planned adventure.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ToKhanandBeyond?utm_source=Sharethis&utm_medium=fundraisingpage&utm_content=ToKhanandBeyond&utm_campaign=pfp-email

2 Likes

Many years later I am wondering if your friends made it ?

1 Like

Yes they did. Plenty of scrapes along the way including suspension problems in some scary country where you wouldn’t want to break down. However a run down garage in the nearest village bodged it back together and made sure the four of them had beds for the night. They had a hoot!

1 Like

Looking at doing something similar in my NB when I retire in a couple of years, just hope the global political situation calms down enough for me to find a reasonably safeish route to circumnavigate the world :wink:

1 Like