A quick jangly sound on start up 🤔

i’ve just noticed a very brief metallic jangly sound sometimes when i start the engine.
i stress it’s only sometimes and very quick then it stops. i’d say like 1 sec. dont hear it when driving and i really listen. i checked the engine oil. its tip top. i know thats a not great description. but thought someone else may have encountered this. the car is mk1 import with slip diff. it passed mot last month. no advisories except 1. seems unlikely its related to power steering seal. the only other description i can think of: its like the sound i imagine 2 symbols would make if you rubbed them together.

Umhh. Does it do this on both hot and cold starts.
I think it goes away too quickly to be a serious fault. Perhaps the starter motor is not retracting cleanly out of the flywheel?

2 Likes

good question. cos of the hot weather i dont know. its only been hot when its done it.
thanks for the reply tho. i hope you’re right about the not serious thing. :slightly_smiling_face:

Buzzing heat shield?

2 Likes

I had a jangly noise on my Mk1 which started off like yours but steadily got worse over time. It got to the point that I started to notice that whenever the clutch pedal was put to the floor it went away, but came back as soon as you brought the clutch pedal up again.

In my case it turned out to be that bracket towards the back of the cam cover that you have to unbolt to replace the CAS O-ring.

When I’d replace the O-ring, I hadn’t got it tight enough so at first all was fine because it was tight enough, but over time the engine vibrations worked the bolt loose until it reached the point it was bouncing up and down causing the jangle.

So if you’ve recently done your O-ring I’d check that brackets bolt in case it’s the cause.

1 Like

Hi Kacey
I get a sound on start up of my MK4, sounds a bit like a heat shield type if noise but as soon as you add some revs it stops and doesn’t reappear til the following morning.
I’ve checked shields on the vehicle that I can see and nothing seems lose.
Maybe get your local garage to investigate.

Best regards Paul.

2 Likes

Hydraulic Lifter perhaps until the oil pressure gets up.

3 Likes

thanks folx!
i have noted all of these. i have no idea what some of them mean, but i will find out.
:blush:

1 Like