A slightly different tyre question

I have just bought a 2015 NC3 with 51k miles. There’s a mix of tyres on it (all 205/45 R17), and I’m pondering what best to do.

Both fronts are Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 with 5mm tread.
One rear is a Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 with 4mm tread.
One rear is a brand new Comforset CF700 (as sold by Asda, I believe!) with 7mm tread.

Should I:

1. Replace all 4 tyres with Kumho Ecsta PS71?
  2. Replace the rears with Kumho Ecsta PS71, and wait until the fronts need replacing before changing them to Kumhos?
  3. Just replace the Comforset with a new Hankook (and possibly swap fronts and rears)?
  4. Do something completely different?

I’m a reasonably fast road driver, but not a total hooligan, and don’t plan on doing any track days, etc. I’m also planning to get a 4-wheel alignment, but obviously not until after I get my tyres sorted out.

I would recommend replacing all four with Avon ZV7s; I’m on my second set. Really suit the traction control system, very impressive wet grip and not too noisy. Previous set lasted 32,000 miles, rotated twice. £342 delivered and fully fitted from here. Mk3 MX-5s like the same tyres on all four corners, preferably with the same tread depth.

2 Likes

Based on previous posts you will get better results if all 4 tyres are the same size and brand. These cars seem to be incredible sensitive to tyres whether it’s pressures or type so for best results you need to spend the money on these rather than bits of chrome or louder exhausts.

1 Like

I was in similar situation and fitted four Kumho PS71’s and sold on my rears what the dealer fitted just before i bought it, can’t think of make but cheapo ditch finders. So much quieter and DSC not coming on so much. Bought them from MyTyres via eBay when they had a sale on for £210 and £40 to fit and got £30 for old tyres.

I had Kumho KU39s on my NC and have recently fitted PS71s on my ND. Great tyres all round and my usage is similar to yours.

Your options 1 and 2 sound OK but not option 3. Replacing the budget tyre with a matching Hankook is fine but you want matching tyres AND matching tread depth on the rear if you have a limited slip diff. Replace the budget tyre with a matching Hankook and swap front to back.

With my NC on Kumho KU39s I destroyed a rear tyre while touring Scotland and had to fit a Hankook Ventis on the rear. Sunday afternoon in Galashiels with ATS closing in 15 minutes I had no choice. It handled like a pig. Pulled one way on acceleration and then the other when the accelerator was released. Soon replaced it with a new Kumho and with the matched fronts moved to the rear and a worn and a new Kumho on the front handling was perfect again.

I think “all 4 tyres the same” goes for any car. Will not pass comment on whether it should be Kuhmo or some other. But Kumho was once considered a rubbish cheap tyre brand, and some of the new brands emerging are decent enough to break the grip of the “traditional” brands (I think its been years since Pirelli was considered the best).

My Mk1 has Uniroyal Rainsport 3s on, which I like, but they might not be as good in a different size, and on a different car… I can’t find anything to complain about, besides the comedy name, the Radar Dimax 4s on my Jag, work well on that kind of car.

Why wait until after you’ve had the geo done? If anything, get that done first.

I presume you mean Comforser CF700? Tyres that are cheap are cheap for a reason.

Depending on your budget my advice would be to stick a matching pair on the rear, even if that means buying another Comforser (although I can’t really believe I’m saying that lol) and then see how the car drives.

No experience of those Hankooks, but they seem to have good reviews.
How old are they? Seems a shame to bin them if they’re relatively new with decent tread - maybe replace like for like on the back and retain the one with 4mm tread as a spare?

There is nothing wrong with the Hankook V12 at all.

1 Like