AA Smart Breakdown - Your thoughts?

Looks tempting for a fiver a month.

Anyone with any experience of it?

Thank you!

Looks like it’s more than £5, I get £7 or £69 if you sign up for 12 months.

Autoaid is cheaper and better value for 12 months.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, Mick!

Might be worth checking out Rescuemycar.com too!

My renewal quote from Autoaid was ÂŁ59-00, a huge increase (Probably because they were taken over), so I went elsewhere.

Greenflag ÂŁ49 with UK recovery

We found it easiest to switch to a bank account with benefits - for not much a year our joint account gives us aa cover, travel insurance and mobile phone insurance. Worth a look.

That’s what I have as well, from Lloyds Bank.

I’d avoid Greenflag - here’s why from my previous experience:

Brokedown in Finnestoun - it’s s stone’s throw from Glasgow city center and adjacent to the expressway and 1/2 mile from the M8 and Kingston bridge.
This was Feb this year so cold - without going into it, I’ve underlying conditions and need to avoid the cold - destroys red blood cells and can lead to clots.

Explained to the call handler that I knew it was the coil pack and I needed to be rescued not a mechanic coming out and about my underlying conditions above. This was about 16:30 - “someone will be with you in an hour or so” 19:10 a mechanic turned up in a wee van, “yeah it’s your coil pack mate, I’ll arrange recovery for you” it was a little after 22:00 before the rescue tuck turned up, by this time I was so cold I couldn’t feel my hands or feet, couldn’t even walk properly and parts of my skin on my face were actually blue with the cold, not a euphemism they were blue!

I called Greenflag a couple of times during this and kept getting told someone was on their way - must have been coming from Newcastle or Aberdeen! Their app is useless as tried using that and wouldn’t recognise my policy number, car reg or anything else. The first thing I did the next day was canceled my auto-renew with them and will be going back with the AA shortly when the Greenflag cover runs out.

Might be good with/for others but there are my words of warning on them - yes a wee bit of rant, but I’m still angry about it all, and think it’s important to let others know of the experience with them