AAARRRHHHHH! HELP.... iMAC RUNNING SLOW

Interesting and thanks.
So you are saying just but the external hard drive and just plug it into one of the USB ports and off you go?

Is it this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-MZ-76E1T0B-EU-Solid-State/dp/B078WST5RK/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid=102934379463&dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhs79BRD0ARIsAC6XpaUAzsDRpZGb0zExNywD5BoJKyqBA9uWBR-weAFCU8UkQFx0gtAEDlEaAj_fEALw_wcB&hvadid=448286226468&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1006554&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=15266671889948925186&hvtargid=kwd-414996505186&hydadcr=23888_1814587&keywords=samsung%2Bssd%2Bevo%2B860%2B1tb&qid=1605639413&sr=8-1&tag=googhydr-21&th=1

That’s what i tend to fit, it replaces the drive inside the system.

This is a pretty good guide for doing it

If you want something to plug in the back then just a normal external HDD would work.

It’s good idea to have a time machine backup even if the machine works fine. You never know when it will save your bacon if you accidentally delete something or if tge system gets stolen.

3 Likes

Many thanks for the information :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

The key is preparation.

Before opening your mac, you’ll want to get a USB hard drive that is at least the same capacity as the drive being replaced. Plug it in and instruct the system to set up time machine. Once the backup is finished you can then open the mac.

Give yourself plenty of light, Have a place with towels to protect the screen and glass nearby and use the proper replacement tape.

This kit is good as it has the proper tool for cutting through the old tape. Only use this tool, if you cut too deep you sever the ribbon cables for the screen.

The video cable also has a latch which often gets missed.

You’ll need torx t8, t10 drivers and some double sided foam tape to mount the ssd to the back of the system where the old drive was.

Take your time and you can have the drive in and the mac back together in an afternoon.

Once the system is back together you can restore the time machine backup using these instructions:

Good luck and have fun!

3 Likes

Pepper,Thanks for all your information :+1:t3:
If I was to get this done by someone like yourself, what should I expect to pay :moneybag:
Regards

I’d probably charge £250 - £300 all done depending on the state of the old drive.

It’s not a nice job and apple have a nasty habit of leaving traps in their devices for the inexperienced.

I’ve described the traps you’ll come across when doing this repair so you should be fine doing it providing your sight isn’t horrible. We’re all stuck indoors so it’s something to pass the time.

Take your time, don’t force things or take shortcuts and you should be OK.

2 Likes

just an update on my IMAC issues :nerd_face:
following on from advice to fit a SSD.

i found a guy from my village ( near sunny Barnsley ) advertising computer repairs on facebook . i called him and he too suggested a SSD, so i arranged with him to fit one :smiley:

he recommended this CRUCIAL SSD. cost ÂŁ48

he fitted it yesterday for ÂŁ90 :fist_left:

so , all in ÂŁ138 :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag: :moneybag:

now my imac is SUPERFAST :ok_hand: :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

this is the chap , if anyone is local …

4 Likes

Very nice, i have the 1TB version of the mx500 in my work PC, they’re good drives.

1 Like