Abac compressor oil

I have an Abac piston air compressor. It’s been a reliable old fella, lives outside in a small custom built wooden enclosure so in the winter the piston freezes to the bores in very cold weather. It gets no love or maintenance and yet it goes like a steam train, it’s quiet too. It does only run for about five minutes a week normally, with the very occasional big job meaning it might run for half hour straight. So I’ve decided to give it some love.
Back in 2008 I replaced the pastel because it was passing, 12 years later it’s still sealing perfectly and if I charge it to 110psi it is still 110psi weeks later if not used. That was also the last time I did an oil change. I doubt the oil has done more than 200/300 hours but it’s still aged. I’ve searched the web including Abac’s own site but can’t decide what oil it needs for the best (new oil would be good I know that much). It’s a B9814-150 with a 150L air reservoir and has a 250L remote reservoir too, that’s why it runs so rarely, the volume is fantastic.
So does anyone have any suggestions what is the best oil to use? I’m stumped. Last time I just put straight 15 weight in. No idea what it was it was forever ago.

I have the same compressor, mine is powered by a petrol engine though, is 10 years old and gets a great deal more use than yours. I have always taken the approach that the compressor is just “a piston engine” and put “normal” oil in it.

Sounds about what I was thinking. Apparently it should be detergent free but I know little about oil sooooo.
What weight do you use? I have a new 5L bottle of Valvotech 10-40 semi synthetic designed for petrol and Diesel engines. You get sod all hydrocarbons in the sump of a compressor so it is still golden coloured after over a decade, so what difference detergents make I dunno. Must be something??

When I got it I paid £40. It had a snapped rod. It came with a spare pump off a smaller compressor but I got a new rod for £12, polished the crank with wet and dry, checked the other rod was ok and put it back together. It’s purred like a cat ever since. Sold the spare pump for £75 and rubbed my hands together lol.

Hi M,
Have a look at this compressor oil - Bing - Shopping
:heart:

I think you have answered your own question when you say you polished the journal and that the oil is still good. I don’t think is is going to matter what you put in. As for what I put in, what ever I had in the van at the time, probably 10W 40.

1 Like

Thanks that will do for me. I’ll bang the 10/40 in that I have. If it pops I’ll fix it again anyway, bet it will be more than £12 in today’s market but hey. I think it will be fine anyways.