About to buy an MX-5 ND

Hey MX-5 OC members,

I’m about to join the world of MX-5 motoring and looking forward to many years of fun with the car.

I currently have a deposit on a ND which I am due to collect next week.

It’s mileage is above average but has FSH and single ownership so hopeful that it stays reliable in the main.

Based down in sunny Hampshire I hope to pop along to the local meets from time to time.

Previous cars include a myriad of Golf GTi’s, Renault Fuego, Boxster 986, 987, all versions of the MR2, numerous Volvo’s and BMW’s.

3 Likes

Congratulations!

Pardon my ignorance, but what is FSH?

David

2 Likes

Thanks David, Full Service History (FSH)

1 Like

Welcome along, which configuration are you getting?

1 Like

It’s an Icon model (1.5) which I understand is mid spec.

I recently drove a similar car at the Mazda dealership locally and it impressed me a great deal.

3 Likes

Congratulations. You won’t regret it. Icon is one of my favourites. Is it the grey or the white? Both look great with the red details. Does it have the chequers down the side or not? Was a dealer fit thing when new so some dealers/customers didn’t put them on. If you have any questions here is certainly the place to find the answer!

1 Like

It’s said to be based on the SE-L Nav, but has the rear park sensors, auto lights and wipers, and heated leather seats from the Sport Nav, then the top of the range. The only material thing missing from the 1.5 Sport Nav spec IIRC is is the Bose sound system.

In addition the Icon has red mirror caps and a couple of cosmetic ‘aero’ parts, namely a full width chin spoiler and a boot lip spoiler. I’m not keen on the side decals myself, but that’s just a matter of personal preference.

Good spec, I would say. It also lacks the inconsequential i-stop and i-eloop which saves some weight and complication.

Apart from the launch spec, I think the Icon might have been the first ND ‘special’

2 Likes

Hi Craig, it’s the white version, it has the original stickers. I’m not sure if I like them so they may be removed at some point.

Hi John, thanks for the info. Spec is better than I had expected then.
What is the eloop thing?

1 Like

Make sure you post some pics when you get it. I have a 1.5nd (not icon) so if you need anything answering feel free to give me a shout. Be mindful of taking the stickers off as once off they won’t be easy to replace (I think most people tend to remove them though to be fair).

1 Like

It is part of the eco/stop/start system fitted to ND2. Have a look here MAZDA NEWSROOM|TECHNOLOGY/DESIGN (TECHNOLOGY)|i-ELOOP
:heart:

4 Likes

Update, test drive went well up until we got to a dual carriageway, then once we got above 55mph ish the whole car started to shudder and vibrate.

Turned around and went back to dealer to investigate, prognosis was a seized brake caliper. Dealer committed to replace faulty caliper and both front discs.

Thoughts folks?

I would NOT commit until they fix it and you have another test drive that goes to your entire satisfaction.
There are many things that this could be, out of balance wheels, prop shaft related vibration, lose engine/gearbox/diff/power plant frame to mention a few.
A promise to fix is not a fix, caution is required.

2 Likes

Tricky one, I really liked the car other than the vibration, nice gearbox, clutch action, everything worked etc…. I’ve agreed to buy subject to vibration being completely fixed on next test drive. Pretty sure the cause is the caliper as it was a bit noisy in traffic before the dual carriageway drive.

I would say you are ‘proceeding with caution’, really hope it goes well for you.

1 Like

Quick update if anyone’s interested :grinning:, the car had a new front caliper & a pair of front discs fitted. I’m on my back to the garage to test drive the car to confirm the vibration issue has been sorted.

IF it has, then I’m looking forward to driving it home (4.5 hours) later this afternoon.

2 Likes

Any news on this??

1 Like

Hi @AndyMk2 Yes, good news to update. The vibration was completely resolved and all remedial work was done so I went ahead and bought the car!! :grinning:

I’ve just got back from a long drive (230 ish miles) with some awful traffic around Birmingham (M42) but the car drove like a dream and averaged 52.4 MPG so well happy with that.

It’s much better on the motorway than I was expected (I’d read reports that it was very loud but it fine)

The last 45 mins were all B road and I’m still smiling, the car really comes alive and the gearbox is superb, probably no definitely the best manual box I’ve experienced.

I’ll give it a proper clean and post up some pictures tomorrow.

6 Likes

Cool, glad that’s worked out for you. Did the car come with a brochure for the Icon model at all? If not, I have one here if you’d like it.

Hi @AndyMk2 the car only came with the usual handbook/wallet but no Icon brochure.

I would love the Icon brochure if you have it available, I’m happy to PayPal the money to cover postage etc…