Adding a LSD to the 1.5L mx5

I started to dig into this topic hoping I could just pick up a OEM 2.0L LSD inside the housing for a easy drop in install but saw the 1.5L and 2.0L use different axel’s. I could source axels as well but that seems like a hassle.

So what other options do I have ? Do any major brands make LSDs that fit into the 1.5L model

Thanks

As far as I can see the 1.5, 2.0 open diff and LSD on ND models all have the same final drive ratio.
This REAR DIFFERENTIALS (LIMITED SLIP DIFF.) | Mazda MX-5 Europe 11.2017 | Parts Catalogs | PartSouq appears to indicate that they are all the same.
The drive shafts here REAR DRIVE SHAFT | Mazda MX-5 Europe 11.2017 | Parts Catalogs | PartSouq again indicate that only the automatic has different drive shafts.
Please do let us all know what you find out as it would seem odd that the drive line would be different for the two engines.
:heart:

These are the threads I found on Miata.net that got me thinking it wouldn’t work. But after seeing your post and now rereading these it might be that they are talking about needing swap drive shafts from the auto to the manual ones :slight_smile: haha

post 20

Thank you for the links. I also think the ‘confusion’ is to do with the auto being different to the manuals.
It certainly looks like you could just buy a complete second hand 2.0l lsd diff assembly, disconnect the prop and drive shafts and simply pop it in. But I would do some more digging prior to making any investments.
:heart:

2 Likes

I had a chat with Roddison today who said the shafts would need to be changed as well.

He also advised that the 2.0 LSD isn’t very good and I should look for an aftermarket option

So for anyone else thinking about this…

2 Likes

Useful to know, I’ve sometimes idly thought about this though failed to convince myself to pursue this further.

If there was a straightforward ‘drop in’ option, purchase price + labour hrs x 2 say, then maybe…

For everyone’s info

The 1.5 & 2.0 have the same final drive ratio
(Auto is different)

The 2.0 LSD has different shafts to the 1.5
Any one who has raced (not track days) will tell you we all struggled with traction as the LSD is not that good….
One guy bought a brand new one from Mazda to try and get an advantage.
Our rules at the time said standard Mazda diff.

I had 2 separate LSD’s built by different companies
Anyone who had been out in my ‘green’ car will tell you how well it ‘hooks up’ out of corners

2 Likes