Adrian Flux, never again.

If anyone was thinking of renewing with Adrian Flux insurance, this is why I won’t be making that mistake again.

They are taking far longer than the 7 days they specify to complete an agreed valuation, in my case a couple of weeks. To get it done that quickly I had to chase them up a couple of times to ask what the delay was. I was told in one phone call it was taking 2 to 3 weeks.

To add insult to injury the agreed valuation had been reduced by £1000 from last year, even though I’d only done 2,500 miles and there were no changes from last year. I could, I was told, get an engineers report done to back up what I valued the car at (and what they valued it at last year). In the meantime if I had to make a claim the car would be valued at whatever they thought the market value would be.

The upshot is I told them to cancel the policy there and then and went with another insurance company who did an agreed valuation on the spot for the agreed amount.

You live and learn.

Exactly the same experience a couple of years ago.
Great shame as they were an excellent company back in the 80s when they insured my kit car.
I would guess that the difference is they were one of the few in those days whereas they are just one of the many now.
Logic would dictate that in these circumstances they would try harder, but obviously not.

theres a few people out there that will never give any money to flux, many bad experiences (google?) and I personally know of one instance of their good customer service a few years ago when they cancelled a policy for my father BUT didn’t bother telling him…

I use Brentacre for insurance on my cars, works out cheaper for them as they are all modified & my mrs is also insured through them

Rich.

My mk1 was written off by a rear end shunt.

They insisted on handling the switch to a different car as if I had an at-fault claim, and wanted hundreds more.

It was far cheaper to start a new policy afresh with a different insurer and bring the renewal date forward a couple of months.

I didn’t go with Adrian Flux, but I have 14 missed calls from them after enquiring so I doubt it’s going to happen in the future.

I used to use them for my bikes. Price went up year on year till one year I had a chat round the bike club and found I had the most expensive policy by far.

Well over double in most cases. 

So I phoned them after getting quotes elsewhere and said that I wouldn’t be renewing.

“O, we can get you much cheaper insurance, no problem”… I put the phone down.

Wouldn’t use them now if they were the last company left on Earth.

I used them for my MX-5 first time out, before I joined this owners’ club and with no no-claims that applied. They weren’t especially cheap, but I had used them a number of times for my kit cars etc and as far as I was concerned they had a good name in the past.

Inexplicably, they wanted an extra 23% on first renewal of my MX-5 policy, as they did a few months later with another car I also insured with them. By then I’d earned a year’s no-claims and had also joined this club and was expecting a far better deal, especially as they are advertised as one of the club’s “preferred” insurance companies.

“Preferred” by whom, I wonder? I can only assume they see this club as easy pickings and now go elsewhere.

My wife did use them for her vehicle, at reasonable cost, at the end of last year. We’ll see what happens at her first renewal but she’ll definitely be shopping around.

Hi.

I’m sorry to hear about the issues you had with ourselves regarding your agreed value and appreciate that you have now moved your insurance to another provider.

Just for future reference I will be speaking to our admin team regarding what does appear to be a quite lengthy back log in processing these valuations to see if anything can be done to speed them up.

Regards,

Dan.

I changed from Flux to Brentacre this year. Agreed value immediately. Also, the guys on the end of the phone actually understand cars and modifications. I realised when trying to explain to Flux what a Blink stage one package consisted of (aftermarket standalone ECU, Piper cams, gas flowed head etc) that they hadn’t a clue what I was on about. “Oh, so it’s been chipped then?”

Dan, 

Anything can be improved from such a low base with a bit of managerial hands-on micro-management followed by hands-off appropriate systematic application.

As a retired manager of a small team of service delivery trainers ny first instinct is why has it been allowed to go so far for so long? 

It’s not the staff ( although you did not allude to it being so but the inference is right there)

I’ve given your organisation a chance around 3 times over the last 2 years, and the prices were pretty OTT but that’s another matter.

AF wanted at best £1,400 FComp for my 30 years old son 3 years back, first time insurer of a little Fiesta 1.25. I saved him £600.00 online.

It’s your prices as much as anything else I’m afraid, but that’s your business to charge whatever you can get away with.

The bit I bolded is open ended and typically wooly of service industries statements. It really needs to be time-bound with findings followed up committed assurance otherwise over time AF is just going to get repeatedly panned.    

It’s a shame…back in the day AF was a default “go-to” company in a few forums. 

Being the “Preferred choice” often leads to complacency it seems.

I got a howler of a quote from AF,they obviously have a good historical reputation, but like most people I choose insurance on price,if AF had been any where near my quote I would have chosen them but to be £140 out was a step too far.
I added the MX5 to our Admiral multi car for a price I was convinced was a mistake for me and my other half.(8 months for £46)
I had to keep checking the figure with the rep,maybe they are gonna put it up to £500 in January!

I’ve been with Flux for many years and always pleased with their service and quotes. From my Sprite at 19 years of age in 1965 through kit cars and all sorts of powerful stuff.Speak as you find, and no, I have no connections with them.

Hi Bannedbiker,

You should try Invicta Insurance Services on 01732 471950. 

They are a friendly and helpful insurance broker who have provided me with great customer service and competitive cover for my MX5 for several years and their renewal terms are always prompt and reasonable.

Thanks, Steve

They gave me a £950 quote, cheaper than another insurer but I didn’t mention that I would be joining the MX-5 Owners Club. I haven’t got an MX5 yet so was ringing around for guide prices as if it was OTT for all companies I wouldn’t bother getting the car. Maybe I’ll call back and see what they’d do as part of a car club…

I got absolutely stuffed by Adrian Sucks some years ago when I changed my Vito van for an identical but newer vehicle. It cost me well over £100 to amend the policy and the reason was that it would be more expensive to repair my new van even though it was exactly the same model. If I went there now it would only be as a very last resort. I have happily paid £50 more to buy car insurance elsewhere on several occasions. This is nothing new, it has been going on for years. Many of us have more than one car so the loss of goodwill must be massive.

I was doing a quick search today for the NC and AF at 520 were obviously not interested in my business, especially when the cheapest quote was 143 from Lancaster and the one I’m most likely to take is in the 180 to 190 region. 

Maybe I’m too old?  Premiums do start rising again, witness travel insurance…

but ‘Preferred’ by who?

remember, 8 out of 10 cats…

Rich. (NOT a fux customer)

Hello, so who did you insure with an agreed value, which the comparison sites do not include, I think I  need something more bespoke.

John