Adrian Flux renewal £373, Privelige £148...

Just got my renewal from Adrian Flux. Was £300 last year now the robbing gits are wanting £373, £50 of which is a policy issue fee? Nothing changed except yet another years NCB.

Confused.com comparison came up with several sub £200 with Privilege being the cheapest at £148.

Needless to say it confirms what I said in my reply to another thread. 

Conor don’t hold back if you think they are ripping you off!!!

Shop around.  EVERY year.  They rob you because they can.

I have used SWINTON for the last 5 years simply because they do NOT push up their costs each year. My Eunos is on a Agreed Value, Classic Car policy and has actually dropped from £140 odd 5 years back to just £100 this year.
Rod

Horses for courses, my AF renewal came in £50 cheaper than last year.

Mine was almost the same, so as Robbie says, its horses for courses.

I know it’s a pain but you owe it to yourself to shop around regardless of the quote. If it helps, I recently brought my insurance premium down by over £75, to £100 because AF dropped their £75 ‘arrangement fee’. My previous insurer had quoted me £220 and three other insurers in the STHT mag also beat that, two of them also dropped their £70 arrangement fees. Unless Dan the forum Flux guy has an ace up his sleeve, I wouldn’t bother haggling with them, just find one that will give you a better quote. 

Thing is, next year, I have no doubt that AF won’t want my repeat business and my premium will increase. Then I’ll have to do the little dance again just to pay another private firm my money because of this game they like to play with my time and money. 

Something I found reduced my premium instantly, was passing a few advanced driving courses. Some insurers, flux is one of them, recognise the IAM and RoADAR/RoSPA as well as OC membership and give discounts if all the boxes are ticked. The price of the courses takes a few years to offset against premium discounts but it’s well worth it in the long run, especially as taking courses might well improve your driving too. 

Hope this helps

Well if a quote of over 200% of other insurers is recognising OC membership then its a funny way of showing it. And I did say I was a member of the MX5OC.

And to Robbie and Nick/Jane, did you do a full market comparison to see how the cheaper renewal compared to other insurers? No benefit to a £50 reduction if they’re still twice the price of others.

No, the renewal was £200, I was happy with that price so didn’t bother comparing on this occasion.

No, I was happy with the renewal, I have compared in the past and on the MK2 am happy to use Flux.

Hi Guys

Some of you are quoting premiums of circa £100. What exactly are you getting for this amount of money?

I’m with SAGA, have heard all the jokes thank you, and am paying £360 fully comp for my Mk1 Berkeley, which is garaged. This includes my spouse as a named driver, full break down and recovery, legal protection, protected no claims etc etc. Mileage limited to 4000.

With cashback through Quidco I’ve managed to get it down to £110 with Churchill. For that I get fully comp insurance on my MK3 2L Sport which is garaged, spouse as named driver, Green Flag breakdown cover, mileage limited to 8,000. No protected NCB, no legals. Legals would add £20.

Would never have protected NCB as its a con. Have a claim and your insurance is still going to be going up the following year. Many people seem to think that it means it wouldn’t but it does. What happens is that a quote with the claim on is worked out then the percentage discount your NCB gives you is applied. If I had a claim then according to my insurers I’d go from full NCB to 6 years NCB. Given the biggest discounts occur in the first few years of NCB my insurance would rise by less than it’d cost me on a policy to protect the NCB.

Thanks Conor. Food for thought methinks!

Thanks Conor. Food for thought methinks!

£360 sounds a lot. If you’re with saga, I’m guessing you’re over 50. A classic policy which doesn’t need a ncb would almost certainly cut the cost. I’m in London, and saga wanted more than a £1000 to insure my MK2, but I pay less than £200 with Footman James. This includes an agreed value at £2500, and salvage rights in case of a total loss. You can tailor the policy with all sorts of add ons to get exactly what you want, and they get very good reviews from people who’ve needed to make a claim. Give them a call, they may surprise you.

I think that is because some of us are on a classic policy, but generally your car has to be over 20 years old which yours isn’t quite yet.  When I first was buying a 5 i found 1 year difference in reg plate made £250 difference in in annual insurance.

But as already said classic policies don’t accrue NCB so if its your only car that could be a considerable factor if you ever intend to change to something newer (NCB only lasts for 2 years generally then disappears).  

As for Flux I found their renewals to be high too, plus they were only good on certain cars, normal everyday cars seem to be much cheaper than with the bigger companies.

Hi Andy,

we may be comparing apples and oranges to some extent, but here’s the info I gave insurers to mull over. Remember that my lowest three quotes were within £7 of eachother when they all agreed to remove their £70-£75 ‘fees’! 

Mk1 1.8

second car so only 3yrs no claims discount applies

held clean license for 30 yrs

Garaged

limited mileage 5,000

sole driver

47 1/2 yrs old 

IAM F1rst & RoSPA Gold advanced driving (these help insurers to apply relevant discounts)

thats pretty much it. Got a missus, two dogs, house… no breakdown cover, no assured value, no protected no claims. 

Hope this helps  

Kimosabe

[quote=Andykins]
Hi Guys

Some of you are quoting premiums of circa £100. What exactly are you getting for this amount of money?

I’m with SAGA, have heard all the jokes thank you, and am paying £360 fully comp for my Mk1 Berkeley, which is garaged. This includes my spouse as a named driver, full break down and recovery, legal protection, protected no claims etc etc. Mileage limited to 4000.

[/

I pay £96.50p fully comp, protected NCB, car parked on drive , wife as named driver , mileage limited to 4,000 for my Mk 2.5 with SAGA.

I spent 15 minutes on the phone yesterday getting a quote for our Hyundai i20 and SAGA wanted £280.using compare the market I got fully comp for £153. Car insurance baffles me but at the end of the day it is when you have a claim that you find out how good a company really are.

Based on claims my two daughters have had I have nothing but praise for Elephant and Admiral [ the same group ] but I know others have been far less satisfied with them. I think the overriding factor is to be 100% truthful when completing application forms and making claims .

Saga would not cover me !! but Privelidge came back with £264 includes home start and recovery etc 60 or 70 £ cheaper than last year ! One rob dog wanted 650 + orig start of over 1200 £ !