Advice needed on cover… or not

I’ve just got my first MX-5 and I think I’m in love! Soul Red soft top 2023 and such fun to drive.

The drawback is that she is my daily car and she has to live outside. And it’s raining. A lot!

I was wondering about a cover but am a bit bewildered by choice (half/full etc) - and also worried about rubbing the body work (given she wouldn’t be clean - or sometimes even totally dry if I was putting it on when I got home).

Plus it would have to be very quick and easy to go on and off, as most of the time I’d be on my own.

Am I looking for the impossible and just need to treat the roof and keep my fingers crossed - or is there a possible cover option?

As it’s a daily, I’d go with a half cover for the hood only. A cover, no matter how expensive, will mark the paint if the car isn’t garaged and it’s dirty. Another option is just make sure the hood is well treated and kept clean

1 Like

IMHO if the car is a long term keeper and used in all weather I would be more concerned about having the underside properly treated to prevent rust. I’d also consider getting a professional to apply protection to the paintwork (e.g. ceramic coating or PPF), and the roof. If that’s all done, I wouldn’t cover it as it’s designed to withstand living outside. However, I’m fortune to be able to garage mine so don’t have first hand experience of how the soft top wears when always exposed to the elements.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Much as I’d like to cover her up, I suspect you’re right and that the only real solution is to treat the soft top and then just keep it as well looked after as possible.

Might get a half cover for ‘jackdaw season’ though :scream:

Half cover (UK Custom Covers do good ones). And for the underbody consider:

1. Driving less in the rain and definitely not on gritted roads
  2. Regular underside spraying in the winter
  3. Underseal

Or some combo of the three.

For the topside you can get impregnator for the hood (good even if you do have a half cover) and I would also keep the paintwork waxed. I used ZipWax as my washing detergent and so it’s done with the washing of the car. But a coat of TurtleWax each summer can’t hurt.

1 Like

I also vote save the money and put it towards proper rust protection.

If you must use a cover, never put any sort of cover on a dirty car particularly soul red which is quite ‘sensitive’ to abrasion.

1 Like

That’s diplomatic. As a Soul Red owner I would say it is thin, has soft lacquer, and chips very easily. My detailer’s opinion was that the Gtechniq ceramic coating is probably harder than the Mazda lacquer. On a new or nearly new car that is intended to be kept for years I’d seriously consider PPF. I know an owner with a 30AE (which is orange, of course) that had PPF from new and it still looks amazing.

1 Like

That’s good to know. I have the Mazda ceramic coating (G3 I think they call it) and I’m having the roof done next week - so will decide what next after that!

Coincidentally, mine is a Soul Red 2017 Skyactiv, and like yours, is a daily drive (400+ miles weekly) and left outside on the drive. I don’t use any form of cover but weekly clean/polish and treat the roof every 3 months with Fabsil Gold which is awesome. Thus far (after 2 years), she seems fine. Like others with a Soul Red, she chips and marks so easily and I’m planning a full respray next year when I go for early retirement and end the daily drag to the office. Good luck with whatever you decide and enjoy the beautiful drive!

1 Like

I live fifty yards from the sea and high up and have done so for over twenty years. My three cars are often covered in salt spray as none are garaged. I wax twice yearly and have never had a problem with paintwork. That includes Kia/Citroen/Peugeot/Audi/Volvo.

That’s not like that Fiat advert some years ago when they anchored one of their cars to sea-washed rock to show how you could own a Fiat in Northern Europe without it fitting into a funeral ern after the warranty ran out. But it’s close :wink:

Your problem really is the underside. It’s expensive to get it treated and it does need top-ups.

DIY? I’m finding it difficult to get to height I’m comfortable working under. Fortunately some of the problem areas are near the outside of the car.
You have some time to consider.

1 Like

On the subject of covers, mine came with one and had been used outside , on and off, over the previous owners 18 months ownership and showed no sign of rubbing. I’ve no reason to disbelieve but given my extreme location I’ll just sell it on I’m thinking.
His location could have been quite windy and he claimed the car had been ceramic coated by the previous owner so may have helped? No receipts so pinch of salt. Just something worth considering?
A cover is a garage substitute to most owners?

1 Like

I’ve been debating this with myself for a few months now. Decision now made as follows

Half cover - protects hood when away on hols
Underseal - keep it in good order
Old sheets blankets bedcovers (we have too many anyway) - mine is garaged - keep it snug and prevent things falling on it, like exploding paint cans and the odd flourescent tube diffuser. ( I speak from experience here)

All the best

Job done

Steve
NA Eunos V-Spec 1995

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.