Advice on new tyres for Mk1?

Hi all, it’s time for a new set of tyres for my 1991 Mk1, as its old Michelin Energies are getting brittle and leaky. It’s still on the original rims, so 185/60/R14s are what I need. The Michelins were OK but were bought years ago without taking advice, so I’m not sure how they stacked up against the competition of the day. What do folks think I should go for this time? I don’t drive it much, and avoid the wet if I can just to look after the old girl. But I’m not afraid of it. Any views?

Falken 314 are a great choice, plenty of grip dry and wet and they are very durable too…

1 Like

The same topic was covered last month. I made a note of NickD’s suggestions.

1 Like

Those Kumho NickD suggested look good value, I’ve got the brand on both my cars. :+1: Nick fitted one set, on the NC sport. :+1:

1 Like

Put Michelin Cross Climate on my Mk2,as they are often recommended by the Telegraph’s Honest John and thought they might be better for winter use. Got them from Micheldever Tyres near Basingstoke. You can enter your car number as it gives your a choice of premium / medium or budget brands, and you can book and pay online before you turn up.

1 Like