Advice Please

I recently purchased a 2006 Mk 3, 2.0L Sport and have had the front 2 tyres replaced (had a bad puncture) with 2 new tyres that were supposed to have been balanced as part of the purchase as per normal practice. However, when I reach speeds just below 70mph the steering wheel vibrates violently, suggesting the tyres aren’t balanced. I have taken the car back to the garage last weekend (National tyres in Dorchester) and they have been re-balanced but are still not right past 70mph.

Does anyone know where I might get the car properly balanced? I do a lot of motorway travel and whilst I don’t cane it, having the ability to drive smoothly between 70-80mph should be well within its capacity and its interfering with the fun of driving it.

Alternatively, might there be another issue? The tracking seems OK (no noticeable part-wear, car not pulling to left or right) or is this common?

Grateful for any advice from the members of the Forum.

Thanks,

EFG

You say new tyres.

Are they both the same brand?

Have you tried swapping the rears to the front and see if that makes any difference.

Was the vibration there before you changed the tyres?

I have had it where the balancing machine the fitter was using was out of calibration and that was throwing the balance out.

Maybe having checked the above take the car to another garage and ask them to balance the wheels and take it from there.

Thanks for your response and thoughts. I’m pretty sure the vibration wasn’t there before.The new tyres are the same brand.

I like the idea of swapping the rear (also a set) and front over and take your point re calibration.

Do you have any recommendations re better garages for balancing or is it pot luck?

Bad puncture? Did the wheel rim get damaged ? Try touching the brakes gently at 70 to see if vibration is still there as it could be a slightly sticking caliper. Could be a worn tie/ track rod end or even a worn wheel bearing

A professional wheel balance should be all that is needed to prevent this.

The only other suggestion I have is to check the wheels seating on the hubs to ensure that there is no grit or other contaminant that has prevented flush fitting. 

Using some imagination here…are they aftermarket wheels?  If so it is likely they have spigot rings to fit the hubs.  If one of them has gone missing then a wheel could just be off-centre enough to cause the shake.

Sometimes tyres are just badly manufactured and are out of shape or are unusually badly balanced.  Putting them on the back would almost certainly have an effect but might not get rid of it.

If you are sure that it isn’t a spigot ring issue, that the wheel was not damaged in the puncture incident, and that the shake was not there before then it would not be unreasonable to ask the supplier to change the tyres if they have had a couple of goes at balancing and failed to solve the problem.

Ask tgem to check if the wheels are buckled.

Thanks to everyone who has come to my aid and posted very helpful suggestions. I will follow them up - cheers!

EFG