Aero kit on an ND

Has anyone had experience of fitting the Aero kit to an ND themselves? How long it took them for instance, any issues to look out for etc.
I have a standard driveway & basic mechanic skills & certainly no car lift!

Thanks
Andrew

Does the splitter require removal and replacement of rivets?

Something to consider.

yes i guess so

I fitted front and rears (not sides) and it took a morning. Nothing too difficult but you will need a Jack nut tool / Rivnut. Also the existing front “wings” will need cutting down, just a hacksaw needed. The rear was fairly straight forward. I used ramps so as to be able to get under the car to do the fittings.

There are not any pictures of the work being done as it involved laying under the car for the majority of the work - drilling out pop rivets, making holes bigger, drilling new holes in the bodywork and bumper, adding “jack nuts” or Rivnuts as we would call them. All good fun, if a bit worrying, especially as my expert friend gave me the drill and said “drill away and don’t drill into anything you shouldn’t!” Anyway, after drilling the holes into blind panels, there were no liquids dripping out nor electrical sparks so I assume my 10mm holes were OK.

I didn’t get the side pieces as I (personally) don’t like the way they “block” at the rear wheel arch.

2 Likes

yes, i’m 50/50 on adding them too!

I had the Aero kit fitted to my 30AE by the dealer prior to delivery. I had the side pieces fitted as I thought without them the finished effect would look patchy, and I still do. I didn’t have the strip fitted to the boot lid because I think it spoils the line, is that why they call it a “boot spoiler”? Or is it because you need to drill holes in the boot lid to fit it?

2 Likes

Does the gloss black get very scratched?

I like the look of the kit, but it’s just the gloss black doesn’t look very durable. Be better if there was a semi gloss or carbon effect option imo.

I don’t think you have to drill the boot, the 3M tape and some adhesive like tiger seal will hold it.

Great video of a Mazda dealer fitting them on YouTube

I’ve had my 30AE with the Aero kit for 21 months, no scratches or marks of any sort, and being gloss it polishes up well and compliments the shine of the paintwork. After the same period the greyish matt standard trim on my Soul Red ND SE-L Nav never looked really clean and was beginning to look a bit “tired” which I thought detracted from the overall look of the car.

2 Likes

Same here on the boot spoiler.

1 Like

I think they look stunning, match the car beautifully

1 Like

good vid! I’ve been quoted £200 to fit it, which doesnt seem too bad to me now, considering the a mount of drilling!

It’s not that difficult, I did it! It was the only mod I did on my ND that involved minor surgery. Check out the paper instructions.

Front

Rear

To me, the visual impact of the aero kit on the lower part of the bodywork needs the lift given by the boot lip to the upper lines.
I really like the orange on the ND though.

1 Like

Hi Chris.
Funny how we all see things differently.
Now I see the “spoiler” in the same way as I’d see an obstruction at the top of a waterfall, it just spoils the smooth flow over the lip.
Yes, the orange colour really grows on you!
Roger

1 Like

Maybe colour matching the boot lip to the bodywork would look better on some paints… But on Soul Red, Ceramic, and Orange, I really like it black.
We all see things differently indeed.:wink:

1 Like

Very simple fit for any competent DIYer :+1: