After fitting coilovers is it necessary to fit stiffer sway bars?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NC1
  2. I’m based near: __Newcastle
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __ Topic title

Looking for info on the above.

Have coilovers to fit with 7kg front / 5kg rear spring rates.

Car is a 2006 would it be wise to fit larger sway bars or stick with originals and maybe fit polybushes to them ? (already have on order drop links)

I have no intention of tracking car, coilovers are for stance really and to replace what are probably the original units.

Any info will be most appreciated .

Not really unless you intend to track with appropriate tyres

1 Like

Cheers for that , I’ve read a lot about how stiffer bars can end up creating understeer.

A bit late to reply now probably, but a few weeks ago i had the Meister CRD fitted to my 2013 NC at Wheels in Motion (yes the hype is true, great job done and good advice). Had the full GEO too. I asked WiM and also Jerrick (of Meister) about ARB’s and the answers were the same - to wait and see how the Meisters perform alone. The premise being that the comparatively thin standard ARB maintains the wheel independence that the manufacturers engineered into the car, and that the Meister alone would more than likely give any desired reduction in body roll without additional ARB. Thats proved true so far, the roll reduction around ‘A&B’ road corners and track day too, is more than enough for me. Although not affected by the ARB, in addition the dive and squat (although not much of that on 160bhp!) is vastly reduced. On the right damper settings for use, the car is transformed. I would suggest that for road use only, no change to ARB would be needed. More experienced track dayers might want to, but my own experience so far also on track suggests not. I have got 215/45/17 Nankang NS2R for the track along with Roddisons brakes and the car is great (more power next, or not?) On the road i switch back to 205’s on the OE wheel, soften the dampers and away we go. So no change to ARB or OE drop links for that matter. I see it as two cars for minimal outlay. I would be interested to hear an alternative view though, from those that complemented the CRD with different ARB- thats the beauty of these cars.

1 Like