Air con confused

Hi all. Does my 2007 mk 3 have air con. Cos I can’t find it :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

HI
Bubble there should be an AC on the temp button .
regards G

Thank you. Yes button pushes in nothing happens. Should a light come on when working

Yes it should.

It should look something like the right dial below, for the fan. If there’s no light or it’s just a plain dial for the fan, no aircon.

If you have Aircon and it just doesn’t work check the fuses.

Thanks for your advice

Sorry to be a pain. I’m not at all machanicaly minded. I aquired this car couple of weeks ago my triplet brother passed away and I want to look after it as he did. Enough of that. Am I right in thinking it’s got two fuses for air con One under bonnet. One under footwell ? Should I change both. Thanks for your patience. I shan’t annoy you anymore :grin:

You are correct, 2 fuses, possibly 3 but one says heater. I’d check the fuse position 6 in the interior fuse board first bottom on the passenger A pillar.
See below…

I can’t answer your air con question, but please don’t think that you’re annoying anybody.

The whole point of the forum is to ask and answer questions, and to share knowledge about the cars that we are all passionate about.

Ask away!

1 Like

You are turning the fan on as well as pressing the button aren’t you?

Not at all. Please feel free to ask as many questions as you need.

Besides, you will have to try extremely hard to even get close to some of the other members of this forum in the “annoyance” stakes. There really are some very “gifted” people on here…this may or may not include myself.

Good point👍

If you have AC and it isn’t working my guess would be it needs regassing. Or more accurately pressure testing and if no leaks found then regassing.
I’ve known a number of MK3s, mine included, that have developed leaks.
D.

PS If the fan switch is in the AUTO position and the button pressed in the AC light should be on.

The aircon engages by applying power to an electromagnetic clutch on the pulley. This makes quite a loud click. Can you hear it? If it is clicking then the problem is probably just lack of refrigerant.

Sorry to dissagree but if there is a lack of refrigerant the clutch wont pull in. If it did the compressor would be damaged. There is a pressure switch in the system to prevent this.

Useful to know, thanks - how low would the system need to be for that to happen? A proper leak, or just years without a regas? I had mine done at about 7 years,by which point it was still functioning but just wasn’t terribly cold.

That I rearly don’t know. The switch will be set for so many PSI, so when the system drops below this the switch will open and prevent the compressor from engaging.
Slow leak, could be years, big leak could be days. If the AC isn’t used regularly the seals dry out and slow leaks will start, so if a car is garaged for the winter without being run with the AC on, gas will slowly escape. This is why you should have the system pressure tested before a regas rather than just getting a Halfrauds DIY regas kit, or a KwickFit cheap and cheaeful top up.
D

Fuses can be checked visually once removed; the wire connection is pretty obvious if broken.
Once you have got it sorted use the AC once a month or so as part of their good health is a regular work out

Ive just got one too. Nearly asked how to open the fuel cap cover! Oh the shame….

It is most likely just low on pressure, you may have a leak but quite often they will just lose a bit of pressure after a while. You can check by shorting out the pressure switch, if button lights up and compressor starts then you know it just needs re gassing. It won’t hurt pump to run for just a moment without enough gas in but obviously don’t run it for long.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.