Air Con System

Hi all I maybe be putting this post in the wrong section, if i have please feel free to move it.

Having only just purchased our MX-5 (2018 Sport Nav +) which had been sitting for a number of months. The Mazda dealer had serviced it before handover plus i did ask for a air con service to be included… we also ask for the pollen filter to be replaced but only to be told
( Unfortunately it doesn’t have one…J )

As we have had the pleasure of Jaguar XJ`s plus a Bentley so we have been used to systems that really do offer a very comfortable cabin air or if you wish to crank the temp down - you really are going to freeze … J

Don`t get me wrong the system is cool but i was expecting a little more performance out of it.

Okay so some of you will be laughing as to whats the point of air-con with a soft top vehicle, but if its fitted i`d like it to work to its best…

What temps are your systems running at (probe readings) or what should i be expecting, okay it has a much small compressor… and condenser.

Ps the car is booked in to our local Mazda dealer towards the end of this month just in-case we have a leak within the system or it was never addressed in the first place…

Thank you for your time

Ps simply love this car just wish we had purchased one years ago…

None of the MX-5’s have cabin filters. My previous Mk2 import and now the NC had/have air con and I would describe it as adequate. I use it roof up or roof down, it keeps us cool either mode, the NC was regassed last year.

1 Like

My Jag XJ aircon has packed up. The pollen filters have to be regularly checked, as Jaguar, in their wisdom, put the drain near the ECU…

1 Like

The measurement should be taken at an engine speed of 1500rpm, at the centre vent, the system set to recirculate on the max fan speed, set to cold, all doors and windows closed after the compressor starts to cycle from on to off. And make sure that the thermometer that you’re using has been calibrated too.

2 Likes

it is sad fact of the mx5 that the air-con just isn’t great!
It’s 31 degrees today and it took my air con 10 minutes to get the cabin air temp down to a bearable level and twenty minutes to get the cabin cool, however, within 60 seconds of shutting the car down I could feel the cabin temp start to rise again.
I have also noticed that the aircon works better when the car is traveling at a road speeds than it does at town center speeds

1 Like

Many years ago, I tooled around in a merlot 1996 Miata M-Edition in deepest Missouri, which was literally bullet riddled (taken some stray shots through a headlight lid, exiting through the fender; it was deer season, and there are stray shots…). Hood down, quickly cooked on the leather. Hood up, freezer cold once you know how to use aircon, 'Bama style (crank down a window a notch, set to fresh air, fan max, after a couple of minites, close window, set to recirculating.

Even my wheezy Honda CRX HF had chilly aircon in 40+ heat.

2 Likes

In the ND the air con is pretty good and gets the temp down quite quickly.

2 Likes

Pootling around IOW in the heat this last week has been great, top down (sun-burnt burnt wrists after washing off the sun block… Doh!) or up, and on “Auto” the NC climate control sets the temperature just where one asks it to.

Regardless of hill-climbing (actually cliff-climbing) around Ventnor because of closed roads (laying fibre everywhere) and detours, or gently, gently cruising along tiny back lanes hoping not to meet something big hurtling the other way, it has been immaculate, even in a bit of M25 traffic jam on the run home this baking hot afternoon before I managed to escape on a well known local rat run.

It did suddenly ask for a re-gas last year at 13 years old, halfway through a journey. But since a visit to KFit no problems.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.