Air Conditioning on 1999 MK2 1.8

1. My model of MX-5 is: 1999 NB 1.8
  2. I’m based near: _West Midlands
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Air Conditioning

Aircon not working.
Press the Aircon button and green light comes on but there is no relay click and the fan does not move nor does the clutch on the pump and there is no drop in revs as I would expect.
After reading article in club mag recently I changed the two relays at the front of the engine bay but still no change.
Any ideas would be a help.
Only had the car 2 months but love it to bits!!!

Hi Nigel
I have a 99 NB with non working aircon too. My understanding is that the clutch won’t operate if their is no/low gas in the system. Mine is doing the same as yours, so I got it tested and it is leaking from the condenser otherwise working OK. Unfortunately their doesn’t appear to be a pattern part replacement so I’m stuck with paying Mazda price (Not Asda price!) over £400, or getting mine repaired which i haven’t explored yet.

Hope you get it sorted
Kev

Hi Kev
Thanks for the pointer.
I will get my system tested to see if its low or any leaks.
Regards Nigel

There is a pressure switch that stops everything working if the pressure is low. You can bridge this TEMPORARILY to see if this is your problem.

Thanks.
Can you describe the location of the pressure switch?

On the mk2 it is the brown connector here.

Thanks
Will have a look over the weekend

Bridged connector and turned on aircon.
Got fan and clutch movement so system will operate.
Next is pressure test system and regas?
Regards
Nigel

Ah thanks for the update Nigel, fingers crossed then. Also thanks for the ‘how to’ Phoenix
Cheers

You can get a kit for about £50 to check pressure & re gas it yourself. The gas is supposed to have something in it that seals leaks. I suppose it depends on how big your leak is as to whether this works or not. I did mine a few months ago & it has been fine since.

Mr Aircon Man, recommended by my local classic friendly
garage, arrived on Saturday lunchtime.
Pressure checked the system and found leaks at the condenser pipe connections.
After 2hrs of strip and clean and O ring seals replaced old R134 stuff out and new R134 stuff in - the air conditioning is now fully functional - just in time for winter!!!

Thought all was well until yesterday when putting on newly refurbished alloys noticed a pool of fluorescent liquid on the drive.
Compressor failed and had loosed all the fluid.
Any ideas where to obtain a compressor?
Suspect they won’t be cheap.
Thanks Nigel

Hi Nigel, did you ever get to source a new compressor?

Hi Graham

Got a second hand one from MX5 City I think.
Still on shelf in garage done nothing with it yet.
Regards Nigel

Try MX5 Bitz. MX5 Bitz - quality MX-5 parts at discount prices
Very helpful people.
Dave.

Thx :+1: