Almost new owner

Hi all. I’m new here. I am picking up my 21 plate R-Sport tomorrow! I’ve wanted an MX5 for 23 years and I cant believe I’m getting it tomorrow! This is going to be a daily driver for me and will be parked outside. Im looking for any advice on being a new owner!

2 Likes

Just put fuel in and enjoy. Welcome.
:heart:

1 Like

Congratulations on your new purchase, enjoy.

First bit of advice, corrosion prevention.
Second bit of advice, get the top down as much as possible.

HTH,
Guy

1 Like

Great tip! Cheers! Forgot to say I’m South Wales based and looking forward to taking it around the Beacons!

I’m aware of potential rust issues. Can’t get it done yet… planning for the end of next year. Roughly what cost am i looking at?

Depends where you are, here in London getting a proper striped back to bare metal job, highly recommended would be around £1k. Worth doing properly. Congrats on your purchase having waited 54 years to buy a watch I recently purchased I can only imagine your excitement. Wishing you many smiles per mile.

1 Like

Welcome! I too have an R-Sport which I picked up in September this year, it’s a nice model. I haven’t had any issues with mine, but it only gets used sparingly being a second car. They are generally reliable cars so you should be fine. Plenty of good advice on here should you need it. The first thing I do before I set off is to turn off the stop-start and the lane departure warning system (the buttons are to the right of the steering wheel set quite low down) as I find both a distraction. 23 years is a long wait and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed! Enjoy!

And drop the roof at every opportunity, even when it is very cold. Only rain stops me… except on those occasions when I am caught out…

4 Likes

Thanks very much! On my way to pick it up!

Learn where the roof drain filters are and how to clean them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v17ohTGefSc

Also check for the collecting of dirt and debris behind the bottom skirts by the wheels. Pulled mine off to find a massive amount of mud in there and exposed untreated metal! do not pull the skirts off unless you have some of the replacement clips, careful inspection under the wheel arch without the wheels on will give you an idea if you need to look further.

if you do need to clean up (or are going for an underbody treatment) these are the clips you will need. 3.03£ 50% OFF|20/40pcs Side Skirt Moulding Clips For Mazda Cx-3 Mx-5 Moulding Clip Rocker Panel Sill Fastener D10e51sj3 Auto Plastic Clips - Auto Fastener & Clip - AliExpress

1 Like

Just be aware that the later models have an extra ‘security’ fastener on each side of the sill which is not easy to release. Apparently early cars could lose the side skirt when negotiating standing water.
If you or anyone needs more information I will guide you to a ‘man that knows’.
:heart:

I picked up my 21plate Rf sport in June. And it hasn’t stopped raining since :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Welcome and enjoy the ride :smile:

2 Likes

Hi all. Ive picked it up and what a car! Everything i could imagine. Ive managed to rake a look underneath and have taken some poor photos. What are peoples thoughts? Is it ok for me to rinse it off with a lawn sprinkler?

1 Like

Doesn’t need cleaning but probably some protection (underseal) under there. I can see very slight corrosion appearing, this needs treating asap and recoating but it pretty clean and new looking. Can’t help noticing also some taped up areas and what looks like just primer finished chassis members. Mazda notorious for leaving patches unprotected, worth a paint over while looking fresh.

1 Like

Hi there I’ve got a 2016 ND it’s on 40k miles and has been my daily driver for the last 3 years. It lives outside all year round…. My best advice is just keep it clean and enjoy it.

You don’t need to go mad bare metalling things especially as it’s so clean underneath as it is.

If you can jack it up you can protect it yourself.

I use BILT HAMBER products they come in an aersosol or brush on and they’re excellent.

Their UB or “underbody” wax is really easy to apply and doesn’t make a mess. It doesn’t harden and crack so it will last a long time. I’d spray your subframes with this and around your wheelarch inners where the plastic doesn’t cover.

Any surface rust on your subframe you can rub back and treat but it should just be light stone chips at that age.

When you get under the car you will see where Mazda haven’t used rubber stone chip paint id cover these bits too.

Bilt hamber s50 can be used inside your sills etc if you want to get them proofed. Easily done as the cans include injection wands and it flows nicely.

No affliction to the brand they just make really good products.

More importantly just enjoy your car, they’re great fun and can be taken care of easily on a diy basis, they’re not made of paper :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.