Alpine 6.1 fitted to new models "Buyer Beware"

Mazda fit the Alpine INE-W920R unit to new cars. This unit allows connection to a compatible DAB unit. Knowing this, I purchased the Alpine TUE-DAB1U and aerial at a cost of £238 which is compatible. When a garage was fitting the unit in the car, a lead which connects the head unit to the DAB unit was missing, so I had to purchase one from alpine at a cost of £24.

After fitting, the head unit didn’t link to the DAB unit and after several phone calls it appears that Mazda re-programme the head unit not to receive DAB even though the unit is designed to receive DAB. To me this is unacceptable as I Mazda shouldn’t re-programme the unit as it cannot be upgraded in the future when DAB is the standard and FM is phased out.

Mazda indicated that they do not put DAB into the cars as it hasn’t been decided whether the UK will adapt DAB or DAB+. The ironic thing is that the Alpine DAB unit receives both DAB and DAB+.

I will push Mazda either to un program my unit to allow DAB reception or replace the unit with one that hasn’t been re-programmed.

I will keep you advised on developments

Tony

Thanks for that; I had considered getting the DAB module but hadn’t had the chance to get one yet.

Do you know if the headunit fitted to new MXs comes with pre-outs, as I would like to upgrade the amp?

If the car specification doesn’t include DAB then I don’t think you have much of a case IMHO, irrespective of whether an off the shelf model of the Alpine does  

Maybe possible to update the firmware ??

http://www.alpine.co.uk/support/firmware-map-update/ine-w920r-firmware-update.html

Chris

Cant help as it was a garage who were trying to install the dab unit only.

Its not the only thing that is ‘broken’ on the AVN2, the Mazda firmware disables the equaliser functions as Mazda have preset the listening experience to their optimal settings. The audio is tinny (crap at best) and can’t be changed other than turning on Media expander which makes it even more tinny (more crap). I have tried to explain to my dealer and Mazda UK that individual music tone preferences differ across the population but they were only concerned about how much effort they had gone to to make it sound the way it does.
What I did get that this was done partly because Alpine insisted some features were disabled as part of the contract with Mazda, anyway the guy who set mine was clearly tone deaf.
I have looked into flashing it and I think it can be done however I have not been successful yet.
If anyone does find out how to return it to the stock firmware please let me know.

also anyone thinking of adding an external subwoofer should be wary as those options are also disabled

Just had confirmation that myself and Mazda UK are in the small claims @ Skipton and waiting a date. Their defense is that the unit is a Mazda navigation unit, where as all my evidence including their brochures clearly indicate in writing it is an Alpine 6.1. If I win the case then they could be in breach of the sales of goods act, as the unit isn’t as described as they do not indicate the changes they have made to the unit. This could open the flood gates for claims not just from mx5 owners but all mazda owners. I will keep you advised.   

Good luck with this case.

I have been in touch with Alpine UK today who told me the following:

The unit is not actually a W920R its a Franken version of it. The most suitable replacement is a W928-R which will give DAB and all the menu options (obviously need a DAB antenna).
They would not provide details on how to reprogram the AVN@ as the deal was between Mazda Europe and Alpine Europe though the guy was quite apologetic about the whole fiasco.

I invited him to watch me burn the unit alongside an Alpine and Mazda logo but he declined.

I have just forwarded an email to BBC watchdog describing how Mazda took a pretty good unit and between them and Alpine crippled it. FFS would you buy a TV that had no way of changing the Bass/Treble or had no preset options for Movies/Sport etc.

Sorry I meant to say the W925R is a drop in replacement. Its about £730 and if I go down that route Mazda will be getting the bill.

TonyF,

If you win I will definitely be following up on it.

Others:

On the reprogramming front I have not successfully managed to flash new firmware. The unit will not accept the BDAG204A (925) or BDAG104A (920) files. I suspect the unit is searching for a different name so tried NCR variants (thats what the AVN@ thinks it is called) but to no avail.
I have another option to boot the WinCE in the unit from USB but I am a bit nervous in case I brick the damn thing.

TonF

Also in case you had not noticed, Page 69 of the Mazda AVN manual makes reference to the INE-W925R. I have an electronic version if you need it. I think its a reference they forgot to remove but hey it clearly identifies the unit was based on an Alpine unit and may support your claim.

Andy

Thanks for all the extra info I will use it in court.

I am claiming for a un modified unit as well as the dab power cable and the garage cost to date

If anyone wants to help me by sending any signed statements I will take them to court to show they cannot claim it to be an alpine 6.1 with the number of changes they have made.

Regards

Andy

Thanks for the info. I have a copy of the manual but didn’t know about the reference.
Tony

TonyF

No problem, let me know if you want me to document the things I have found that are disabled/restricted and I would be happy to send to you
I feel I was misled since at no point was it stated that anything other than the Alpine functionality would be available. You only find out after you try to use it.

Andy

Andy

Any independent info may help the case. I am like you in that when I purchased the vehicle it stated it was an alpine 6.1 with no reference to the reprogramming they have made which I cannot see any benefit to mazda apart from maybe cost saving. Part of my defence is that they cannot infer they are selling a premium product and then dumb it down the unit without informing the customer of the changes.

TonyF
If you PM me your email address I will scan my signed statement and send it to you.
I just compared the Mazda Manual to the INE-W920R manual and captured the significant crippling made.
I know they would argue on some points but you are right, why do it anyway. I went through the previous AVN1 saga with the Sanyo where TomTom Live never worked properly so I wonder why they just can’t stop fiddling with them.
Its quite a long list and if it helps at least one person get some action then I am happy to help

Thanks

Andy

Andy
my email us ajfeather2@gmail.com
Regards