Alternative Indoor Cover

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2021 GT Sport Tech (ND?)
  2. I’m based near: Douglas
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Alternative Indoor Cover

Hey folks! I’m lucky enough to have my MX-5 garaged most of the time and usually only driver her in dry weather, but even so there’s a buildup of dust and bug droppings which I’d like to prevent using an indoor cover.

Having searched the forum I see that a variety of covers are popular, but I wonder if anybody has long-term experience using anything else, like (don’t laugh) a silk sheet? I don’t need an elasticated cover because it’s not windy in my garage, and although ‘fitted’ covers look the part I do worry about the unnecessary friction between fabric and paint. Of course I won’t be putting on the cover if the car is actually dirty, but at the same time I’m not going to clean the car each time I’ve used it. That’s where the silk idea comes in; very light, and with a tight weave I’m hoping it won’t trap particles in the fabric between uses. I also have a feeling it won’t build up static electricity as readily as nylon so another tick in the particle box, but that might be pure conjecture.

Go on, tell me what you’re using. Or tell me I’m mad. :grin:

1 Like

Easy and cheap, well if you’ve got one spare, an old cotton quilt cover. Unpick the side seams and open it up and throw it over. The back end is covered by another small bedding sheet, all old redundant sheets.
I’ve actually got a proper cover, elasticated edge but it’s a faff getting it on in a tight garage.

1 Like

Looks good to me, but have you noticed any markings as a result of using this cover? I’m a bit worried that the combination of weight and ability to pick up bits of grit from the floor might lead to very fine scratches over time, though I’m probably just being paranoid.

Cheers Mick!

Just don’t put the sheet over (or any other cover for that matter) when the car is dirty.
Used it on my last NC too, that stayed pretty clean and scratch free.
The cover goes over if, the car is to stand for more than a week unused and it’s clean. Gets used mostly in wintertime when the car is laid up longer between use.
Give the cover a really good shake out now and then, or even chuck it in the washing machine.:+1:

Couple of cheap 100% cotton double flat sheets from Primark or TKMaxx worked for me.

I use the Mazda half cover on the roof, a king sized duvet cover complete with frills over the front, and a cotton sheet over the back. Though the bonnet is propped on a small piece of wood as the ND lives on a Lidle/ Aldi smart battery charger when not in use. The car is always clean when it goes on the garage.

1 Like

Details like this are important for the reader to get an accurate image :grin:

Have to say that I can whole hearted recommend a cheap cosmos cover from Amazon. Use one on my othe (more valuable) toy and it’s a pleasure to use. Cheap as chips at about £30, keeps the dust off very nicely and has a couple of silly benefits - adds an air of mystery about what’s underneath and uncovering reminds me why a wanted one for so long. Takes under a minute to put on and take off. Cosmos 10356 Indoor Car Cover

You could call mine a no frills cover.:rofl:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’m going to be a bit nit-picky here, but for me personally there’s a difference between clean (I’ve literally just washed, dried, and waxed the car) and clean (washed a couple of days ago, garaged, driven half a dozen times in dry weather).

Although in both instances I’d call the paintwork ‘clean’, in the case of the latter there’s a fine layer of detritus that’s not a problem until you regularly dry-wipe it with something like a cover. Did I mention my OCD?

I can’t be faffed with washing the car every single time I’ve used it, so as long as its visually clean my thoughts were to minimise the potential for a cover to cause scratches by using a very lightweight material. First consideration was the kind of disposable polythene dust sheet you get from B&Q when you’re painting the ceiling, but anything plasticky feels like it’ll cause scratches by itself, not to mention from anything it picks up via static electricity. And that’s how I got onto the ridiculous notion of silk.

I’m probably over-thinking it. After all, most marks will buff out, the rest is called patina. :wink:

Chris 007, as you say frills are important!

3 Likes

I think you gotta get out more!!:laughing:

2 Likes

The quilt cover works for me …… no frills here! :rofl:

2 Likes

Hi what size did you go for medium (recommended) or small heard some reports elsewhere that medium a bit baggy?

Thanks in advance