An MX5 with the roof down - a winning combo apparently

Who knew?
:upside_down_face:
Enjoy…

7 Likes

£25k is an incredible price and the colour combo is stunning.

1 Like

Henry is still rocking his Edwardian fop vibe, I see. Nice car , shame about the hideous decals - very Max Power .

Car is owned by BBR so that car pretty much a moving advertisement. Plus its well known each stripe is worth +5hp

1 Like

There’s a lot to unpack with that outfit.

The side and bonnet stripes aren’t to my taste, either. IMO one of the attractions of quick MX-5 is to keep the clues subtle so its performance surprises people.

I was slightly confused at one point as it appeared part of the price on his ND2 was an exchange ND1 2-litre to be supercharged???
To be honest I didn’t see that much point, my ND2 pulls adequately from 2k and by the time it’s on song the limit is my ability to keep up with gear changes rather than lack of torque or bhp!

It is something different from whats out there but yea you don’t really need 250 bhp in an mx5.

For me an exhaust and a basic tune in an nc is all I need in terms of power and excitement. if I’m honest I did think about doing an engine swap last yea but in the end I decided against it.

1 Like

ok two completely different MX5 videos but same vibes

Alex’s car has no engine mods other than a remap with pops and bangs, judging by the sound I believe it also got a straight through exhaust :sweat_smile:, BC racing suspension and sticky tyres.

3 Likes

I would like to have a go and see what it’s like compared to my stock nd !

'HIs face says it all '. Yup , what his face is saying is 'I’m on camera , and it’s compulsory to gurn like a reality TV contestant '.

1 Like

Still wouldn’t mind a go in a Z4 Coupe

yes completely agree its over exaggerated for the clicks and likes. But if you look past that, if the driver knows what he is doing that little mx5 is good fun (as we all know) and pretty rapid on the ring.

Great driving, but at that speed with no helmets, a cracked windscreen and the “engine management” light on ?

I owned one for nearly ten years (3.0 Si Sport, not an M unfortunately). Great car and, as sports cars go, relatively affordable. Most issues are well known and the Z4 Forum is really good.

How does it compare to the MX? I see it as a more serious car and quite rare. Coming back from Cornwall on Wednesday one passed me on the A30. I was in my Sharan and followed it to show my wife as I keep thinking I’ll get one. However it would be a daily and reliability is key.

Saw an episode of these two bodging a safety roll bar instsallation, waste of time by the end of the episode they fessed up they had not read the instructions before drilling holes for the bolts and wondered why nothing lined up properly ! Not watched anything of theirs since.

On the subject of forced induction having done a bit of sprinting and hillclimbing I can see the appeal of both turbo charging and supercharging, however the Rocketeer idea of increasing cui, hp, torque while at the same time reducing weight is far more appealing.

In the end I decided to refrain from any of those options, if I really want to go faster in competitions I’ll buy a faster car because I’d hate to sacrifice the MX5’s versatility particularly the ability to tour by compromising the suspension which would be the logical first step in any performance up grade.

It generally was reliable for me and to begin with it was my daily. The boot is bigger than you might expect, but a slightly odd shape. It’s good fun and that straight six is very smooth. An MX-5 is more engaging, but the Z4 is way easier to live with if you are going to travel a long distance. It’s something of a mini grand tourer. I owned both at the same time for a while, so I did compare them. £10 - 12k would get you a really nice, relatively low (for age) mileage 3.0. If you buy from an enthusiast and the water pump as well as some preventative maintenance have been completed then you shouldn’t have too many issues. It’s a relatively old car, though, so things will fail through age. You can get all your questions and more answered here: Z4-forum.com - Index page

I didn’t even advertise mine when I sold it. Someone put a wanted advert up on the Z4 Forum and I contacted them directly and moved it on.

its all about the clicks and likes mate. I think he said the engine light was due to bodging the exhaust system (pretty sure its due to catalyst/and or lambda sensor).
Re helmet i think Misha says if top down he wears one, if it has hard cover or in a closed shell he doesn’t if there’s airbags & if the car has cage and bucket seats he does. Not sure if this was the actual reason or due to clicks and likes. If I’m I’m on track in my mazda I’d wear one regardless.

1 Like

It does look nice… Kinda like the new Z4/Toyota supra as well

It does doesn’t it…. Fun fact. My brother in laws boss did the suggestive design for the coupe. They work at Magna in Graz where I think the Z4 is now made. However George I’ve put enough into my NC I think I should keep it, I just need to learn to drive it now. Heading out in to the peaks tomorrow with a pal who has a gen 1 3.0 Z4 cab.