Anti roll bar linkage ball joint

Just got MOT done.

Had a couple of advisories:

1 - anti roll back linkage ball joint has slight play Rear
How long does this job take and how much does it cost? 

Can anyone recommend a good ball joint to buy?

2 - Front inner tyres worn close to legal limit. I was told this may be due to a tracking issue. I had wheel alignment done in February… is this a common issue?

Thanks 

The Mazda ones are made of toffee. Those who claim to know, reckon the Blueprint branded ones are good quality.

Yes tyres do wear, if the wear tread depth is equal across the tyre then that means the wheel alignment is good.

If the tyre is only worn on one side then that suggests an alignment issue.

Exactly what depth in mm was there across each front tyre, outside, in the middle of the tyre and the inside when the alignment was done.

What tread depth is there across each tyre now across each part of the tread and we can advise.

ARB links:

If the bolts are not seized. 10 minutes. Unlikely if they’re worn out.

If they’re seized it’s grinder/drill/dremel time. When i did mine I ended up destroying them so i could get to the ball in the joint. Then I used a plumbers wrench on the ball and went to town on the bolt to snap it.

Dear Drumtochty

Unfortunately I didn’t check the tread when the alignment was done last Feb.

currently there is ample tread in the middle front (5mm), but close to limit around edge (1.8mm)

Please advise accordingly.

Only advice you can have is new tyres and tracking done again or new tyres and hope they were bad when tracking was done but i doubt it as whoever did the tracking would or should of advised you. But it will be money wasted if tracking is out and ruin new tyres prematurely. So if it was me new tyres and tracking done again.

You need new front tyres anyway, just get the alignment checked when they fit the tyres, often they will do you a deal and in any case it’s going to be cheaper than replacing the tyres again in 12 months. Just out of interest how many miles have you done in the last 12 months or so, your last mot should be a good guide?

Agree with all of the above, however, you don’t say which model car you have? Mk3 droplinks can be a PITA as they have an Allen type socket to hold the bolt while a spanner is used to undo/tighten. Older models use nut and bolt instead, much better. The mk3 ones corrode and the socket for the Allen key can round off very easily. i bought a new full set of pattern mk3 drop links for around £40 from MX5Heaven, delivered. Angle grinder lopped the old ones off, job done  I based my purchase on them not being any worse than the OEM ones, but less expensive, which, so far has proved to be correct.

Barrie

Yes, agreed you need new tyres and the alignment done again but you may be a bit confused here.

Any tyre services place will check the wheel alignment and that only means that both front wheels running parallel to each other.

The MX5 has more adjustments than that and they need a four wheel laser alignment, cost say £100 with the car on a fancy lift with lasers hitting targets attached to the wheels.

Post your location and someone in your areas will probably be able to advise you of the best place to get the 4 wheel alignment done.

The 4 wheel alignment is not an option, it needs done in this case.

It is a 2014 2.0 mk3

I have done 2k mileage this year.

Im based in Leicester.

If a 4 wheel alignment is a MUST - can anyone recommend a garage in Leicestershire?

Two new front Bridgestones are going to cost me in the region of £200.

Is it worth getting the alignment done first and then replace tyres later in the year? Or do they both have to be done at the same time?

You need to make sure all the suspension joints are exhibiting minimal or no wear before you cough up £100 for wheel alignment, but in fairness I would hope the technician doing the testing would spot problems/wear and advise accordingly. 

Cheers!

Russ

Front inner tyres worn close to legal limit. I was told this may be due to a tracking issue. I had wheel alignment done in February… is this a common issue?

[/quote]

To be fair they always say its a tracking issue. Every MOT I had as a youngster they said that to me despite me having the tracking done regularly and them always saying it weren’t far off. Turns out it was just me driving like a lunatic. You said you had the tracking done in February, is it likely that the tyres were already wearing on the inside before that? If they were then adjusting the tracking will help but you still have less tyre to go through on that part of the tyre so the un even wear still presents