Anti-Theft Gear Lock

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ND
  2. I’m based near: __Oxford
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Gear Lock for security

Hi

As an additional deterrent to vehicle theft I am considering obtaining a very visible gear lock, i.e. one that secures the gear lever and the brake lever.

Has anyone found a device that fits the configuration of an MX-5?

This device below for example assumes that the brake lever is located aft of the gear stick; in an MX-5 the two are located side by side.

Thanks in advance

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GEARSTICK-Vehicle-Anti-Theft-Security-Durable/dp/B07K5VFNCH/ref=asc_df_B07K5VFNCH&mcid=cb135781377b34d1b576ac399d0c0693?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80676723059437&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276298885754&psc=1

If you did want a deterrant, I’d fit and use a Disklok personally:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disklok-Steering-Silver-Security-Approved/dp/B00SLB6WW0

You could look up testing results for the gear/brake lever type ones, but my understanding is they could be removed relatively easily, if desired. You have a fairly open ‘attack surface’ to smash the assembly and/or locking mechanism. They also risk marking the handbrake and gearlever areas during use.

Whereas the Disklok by design is more difficult to attack and break apart. If you’re not quite sold on that type of product, at least look at products with the ‘Sold Secure’ and/or Secured by Design (SBD) accreditations.

1 Like

I use this, take it with me for the ND and Eunos. £20

Steering wheel and seat belt lock

IMG_1795

Another vote for disklok, they are easy to fit and a great visual deterrent and are genuinely difficult to remove compared to steering column and gearshift locks which can be broken fairly easily. Most thieves probably wouldn’t bother and move on to the next car.

Only pain is storing them, but if you buy the carry bag it has velcro that grips to the boot carpet and stops it sliding around.

Unfortunately whatever you buy cheap or expensive if they wanna get in and wanna take it, Your either left with a trashed interior and roof or door. Or no car. A £13 option at the top you might as well have a fake LED dash alarm light. Its horrific state of affairs

2 Likes

Most car crime is either opportunistic or organised. I don’t think mx5’s fall into organised crime (stealing to order) as they aren’t a high end expensive vehicle and spares are cheap and plentiful. That leaves your opportunists that would see a disklok and move on. That’s my opinion but I have watched interviews on the subject and the thieves themselves say as much. It’s just not worth the hassle or risk of getting caught.

1 Like

i think its targeted if it happens to you or very very bad luck

The protector is a great idea!

1 Like

I’ve had this for about 10 years through 5 or 6 cars. Rarely use it unless I have to park on the street or away from home but never had anything taken.