Any 5w30 oil?

I change the oil myself just to be sure my car gets the best one every 10k miles.
It isn’t worth saving pennies on.

I’d be inclined to do it every 5000 but I am a fussy a$$ :joy:

1 Like

Yep, or every year regardless of mileage for me. :+1:

1 Like

It is every 10k or once a year that I change mine.
But I don’t do track days, I hardly drive in stop/start traffic, I do lots of motorway and country roads… And I do not rev my engine hard.
Should I change my oil every 5k miles?

Edited for the question.
My manual states 12500 miles or every year “which ever comes first”, 2013 2.0 Sport Tech.
Will a quality synthetic oil last longer or whatever, of course it will.
Do you need to change it every 12 months?
A matter for the individual.
Quite critical on the early NC range in my opinion.
Certainly, if a car is in warranty then do so without fail.
I do my own servicing and maintenance on the MX5.
So spending around £30-40 on oil/filter every year (regardless of mileage) to “me” is money well spent.
It keeps the internals of the engine clean etc (with the modern detergent additives).
Sure, many others have a different approach/opinion, but that’s an individual thing and up to them. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

No.
:heart:

1 Like

Thank you. I am in a similar situation as you, Nugget will stay with me until he is not good to anyone, I think. And I carry out my own maintenance (but I am not mechanically trained, just house trained :grin:).
I thought I would ask your opinion on the frequency of my oil change because every 5k miles seems like overkill under my circumstances.
I appreciate your knowledge.

I guess it’s a personal thing and as you point out, your circumstances suggest it’s too often. In my case, my car is a “weekender” only but I do track it around once a month therefore I change the oil after every two trackdays because it gets worked hard. For the relatively small cost, it gives me piece of mind that it’s almost as clean and fresh as it can be.
I spent a fair bit of my time when I was a lot younger (30 yrs ago) with a small saloon car racing outfit and they changed oil/filter after every event weekend. I guess it’s just stuck with me.
“'Cos racecar lifeblood innit bruv” ? :crazy_face: :grinning:

2 Likes

My routine is every 12 months, as it happens that seems to be every 5k miles, sometimes less, it’s all I do in that period.
Same for the daily driver, about the same miles per year.

2 Likes

Well, it’s the same as a Ford Focus engine, quite probably made by Ford if it was a very late NC (mine had a FoMoCo oil filter on it from the factory). Hence the FE spec. I know Mazda developed the MZR engine and Ford adopted it as the Duratec, but Ford went on making and using it after Mazda had moved onto SkyActiv.

When I was a lad I lived opposite to a retired chap who used to be an engine builder at Aston Martin - Lagonda in Staines (Middlesex) in the 1940’s and 50’s. On a Monday they’d each be given a kit of rough parts and a bucket of oil and by Friday they’d have a complete engine to trolley into the running-in shed. They got to know which areas of the engine to give just that extra bit of fettling to get the smoothest running.
They’d also punch their initials on the block, below the serial number. If you ever see a Lagonda engine with BW on it, it’s one of his.

1 Like