Any experience with cheap Chinese wiper stalks?

Having been without an MX-5 since 2014, when I sold my NB, Iā€™m due to pick up an NC3 shortly.

One of the things I plan to do, as suggested by many on this fine forum, is to replace the wiper stalk with a ā€œvariable intermittent wipeā€ version.

There seem to be two options:

1. A second-hand RX8 stalk (which seem to start at around Ā£30 on eBay). On the plus side, it will be a genuine Mazda part and should match the rest of the switches. On the downside, it will be second-hand and a number of years old.

2. A new Chinese pattern part (which are available at circa Ā£11 on eBay). Cheap, but I donā€™t know if it will be an exact match for the other switches. An example is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192876703891

So, has anybody had any experience - good or bad - with the aftermarket stalks?

Sorry canā€™t answer your very sensible question but well spotted; at that price I hope someone buys one soon and tells us all what he thinks quality-wise etc.

Well the photoā€™s are of a real/used one (dirt) rather than a new pattern manufactured one so read into that what you like.

If you feel like trying one please feed back on the quality, price is good.

Do we know that the original switches are made by Mazda? They may not even be made in Japan.

The tweeter speakers in my Bose equipped ND are clearly labelled ā€˜Made in Chinaā€™ on the back.

Like most manufacturers Mazda will buy parts in from various suppliers often using multiple suppliers for one part.

Iā€™d say that what is important is not whether the item is new, or is second hand and a number of years old.

What is important is the provenance and inherent quality. 

From running older cars as ā€˜dailiesā€™ for years, Iā€™ve regularly had to dig around, asking questions such as yours.

In particular, alternators, and mass air flow sensors ( MAFā€™s). The advice and experience

of others was to avoid the cheap Chinese aftermarket stuff. 

As a result, I tend to go for good second hand original equipment items.

Unless, on here, at least 2 people come up with good feedback for those cheapie new switches,

Iā€™d recommend you do the same.

Iā€™d stick with a second hand set. The pictures on the eBay add are not of a new item, it may look entirely different to the stock when you get it

Thanks for all the responses.

For the sake of Ā£11.09, I have just ordered one. Itā€™s due to arrive by 10 February (although my experience is that a lot of stuff that I order from China arrives long before the due date).

Iā€™ll report back once it gets here. Worst case, Iā€™m covered by PayPal Buyerā€™s Protection.

1 Like

That makes 2 of us, mine arrives by 30th Jan.

Worth searching too for a Mazda 6 saloon wiper stalk.Ā  Identical to the RX8 variable interval unit.Ā  Not a hatchback unit as that has the rear wiper function.Ā  Mine was much less than Ā£30!

JS

Ā 

Hi Phillip, I hope the new switch is goodĀ Ā just a point though, quoting your original post,

ā€Ā On the downside, it will be second-hand and a number of years old.ā€

Just like the rest of the car then? TBH, I personally have no hang up in buying and fitting contemporary parts to my cars, they have aged just as much as the whole car, will be a perfect fit (and match) and Iā€™ve not had a bad experience of this switch having fitted two now, one to a lot older (12 years) than the other.Ā 

Barrie

Hi, I received one of these yesterday. It is used, but in good condition. Iā€™ve just fitted it, and it seems to be working perfectly.
A bargain for the price.

My Chinese copy arrived today, fitted in 10 mins, works perfectly. Not bad at all for Ā£11.

1 Like

My stalk also arrived from China a couple of days ago.

I only got the car on Saturday, so am working my way through a list of other small jobs before I fit mine, but on physical inspection it looks and feels good quality. Reassuring to know that your works.

As you say, quite a bargain!

UPDATE: Fitted the stalk today. Easy job, and the new stalk works perfectly and matches the other controls well. Definite bargain.

1 Like

I got a cheap one last August. Fits a treat works and looks like original. No probs.

1 Like

Just to confirm othersā€™ experience of cheap Chinese switches. I paid Ā£13.50 (including delivery) for mine. It arrived within 4 weeks and works perfectly. I havenā€™t done any controlled timings but my impression is that the new switch on quickest intermittent wipe is the same as the standard MX5. The switch allows you to slow down the standard intermittent speed. If I was being ultra critical, the typeface on the replacement is slightly less well defined than on the original switchā€¦ but itā€™s a bargain.

1 Like