Any Mini Convertibles in the stable?

My wife wants to part with her 2017 CRV and get a Mini convertible now that the kids no longer need ferrying around.

Sadly unable to persuade her to get an MX-5.

Anyone have any advice on what to look out for?

Actually, there’s quite a bit of info I’ve found on other posts asking similar question.

I’ve had three Mini’s in the past, a 2006, 2008 and a 2015… The 2006 Cooper S I had suffered from the deaded timing chain failure but the 2008 and the newer F56 2015 Cooper S were both fantastic cars…

The only trouble I had was with the 2008 Cooper, the rear antiroll bar bushings wore out so I replaced those and all was fine… also once on the newer Cooper S one of the runflats failed on the motorway (nice slice in the tread).

I think as long as they have their oil changes when needed they’ll last you a good while :slight_smile:

The 1.6 prince engine is diabolical only for use as a boat anchor, google it for its tragicness

I’ve heard good things about the later cars but a mate had one of the early supercharged Cooper Ss and he rated that for the whine alone…

2 Likes

Yeh thats true, however the F56 models use BMW’s Twinpower engines, the turbo flutter and exhaust pops in sport mode are pretty awesome fair play lol

This is my old one and I do kind of miss it, it was quick and made lovely woosh noises :smiley:

Very nice. 2l engine is that?

Edit, too early to be posting, that’s clearly your R56.

1 Like

My sister has had various modern Minis (and 3 real ones back in the day) and loves them. She had a One convertible which she thought was great apart from the small boot and a gloomy interior.

A petrolhead colleague had a Cooper S which he liked until it went for service and he found the courtesy normal Cooper was infinitely better in real world use!

Personally I’m not a fan; I don’t like the fisher-price comedy interior and the view out seems like a wartime pill box /MG nest. I also couldn’t get comfortable with the clutch or gear stick.

Both my daughters learnt in Minis and would never ever buy one. Also didn’t like the gear lever or clutch action.

MIL has a 59plate Cooper she bought new and has less than 20k on it. TBH I think she bought it on looks and FIL-pushing; an auto would have been more sensible, FIL has probably done most of the mileage.

I think the best idea is to get a test drive for a couple of days to see if it suits. Mini have a very good PR but in reality are a bit Marmite.

I’ve never owned or driven a convertible Mini but am on my second three door hatch. My first was an R56 Cooper S that was fantastic until it had the timing chain issue and required a lot of work. I got rid of it after that and replaced it with an E86 Z4 Coupe. My current Mini is an F56 JCW with an extensive list of options. My mum has an F56 Cooper S with smaller wheels than my JCW and most of the time the Cooper S is probably the better balanced car and easier to live with.

If I had to choose between keeping my Mini and my MX-5, the Mini would go. The Mini is fun, looks good (IMO), and has lots of toys, but it’s not as rewarding to drive as the MX-5.

I assume that convertibles have similar options to hatches, so the only advice I would give is to get one that’s as highly spec’d as you can find if you are buying second hand. Maybe try to avoid 18" wheels if ride is important to you, or budget to change them down to 17".

My wife is in possession of her third Mini convertible and wouldn’t have anything else. It has now replaced the MX5 :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: for trips to France etc

Some lovely examples on here. I offered low ball on one yesterday, Mini main dealer, surprisingly their counter wasn’t too far off my max. I have today to ponder further.

1 Like

It took ages to persuade my Mrs that we should get an MX-5, all the arguments against - “it’s small impractical, what’s the point of a soft top you can only open on the two days a year when its warm enough”.
Anyway a year after getting the MX-5, she has her own convertible, she loves it. I found it to be surprisingly quick and fun to drive. Definitely need to swap out the dreadful run flats though.
I dont drive the Mini often, the MX-5 is still the better car to drive. We’re off on a road trip around France in a couple of weeks and we wont be taking the Mini. :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.