Any other Original NA BBR owners on here?

I was just wondering if there was many other dealer fit BBR Turbo owners on here(NA)?

I picked up a nice 1991 red example just over a week ago from this very forum.  Loving the car, the extra grunt is fantastic and it seems to go generally very well, few niggles to sort, some light cosmetic work to be done, and some rust to fix longer term but nothing unexpected.

I was wondering if other owners could advise me of 2 things though.

1 - There is a very noticeable atmospheric wastegate sounding (“dump valve”) when coming off throttle.  It makes me giggle like a school boy every time it does it (childish I know) but its louder than I expected.  Is that common to the BBR setup?

2 - what oil do people run?  My other car I was just running semi-synth but do people running different grades?  Fully Synthetic etc?  I’m being careful to let it warm up and spool down after a run but if there is some good advice on good oil I am all ears!

Thanks

Dan

I Know what I would do and that’s phone BBR,  ,have a chat with the owner, he’s a great bloke,

I’ve had my NC BBR’ed  with the 175 (that landed up at 186 bhp)and the only way I can describe how

it drives now is it’s like I’ve taken the handbrake off.

So give him a ring, I’m  sure he will be able to answer all your questions and be pleased to know you have

a NA BBR car.

Hope it helps 

Ned   

Thanks Ned,

I had spoken to Neil at BBR prior to buying the car, and yes he is a very helpful chap, so I took your advice and rang him again.

Apparently any quality 10/40W Semi or fully Synthetic oil will do, it doesn’t have any special requirements.  A noise from the turbo when coming off boost is normal and is the Turbo stalling (they don’t have an external wastegate apparently).  And if anyone else is looking they can rebuild the original turbo unit, for somewhere around £500.

Would still love to here from any other owners!  There must be some on here!!