Anyone else driving on steel wheels?

Something “right” about a BRG car with steel wheels. Well done!

2 Likes

Before and after with my lights after about 5 mins work;

1 Like

That looks just perfect :+1:

1 Like

Thank you.
Big resto last year though.
I ran it into the ground over 14 years and it was a rot box on it’s knees ready for scrapping tbh.
Far from perfect even now but getting there.

1 Like

Sounds like a tough choice had to be made there, but after all those years, can see why you went for it - results speak for themselves!

1 Like

They look great, mine came with chrome wires as a special ‘IWAKI’ edition in Japan, look great but awful to keep clean

6 Likes

Nice - i’ve never seen those before - looks very classic

It’s funny how things change – my first car was a rover mini that came with steel wheels and I couldn’t wait to get rid of them and get a set of minilites on. I think i’ve changed my mind now because the only cars you see steel wheels on now are interesting ones.

1 Like

Exactly.
My “plan” was to fish for a good set, get them done in a more gunmetal & go up a tyre section, but the issue was the centres!
Meantime, a really rough set of “proper” PanaSports became available cheap as chips…without centres. They were really rougher than a rough thing.
Got them sanded & flashed over with Vauxhall alloy silver, and a cheapo set of Amazon MazdaSpeed ( joke eh?) centres which were a micron loose, so set in with Tiger Seal. They look the part…from 15 feet! Given the PanaSport centres are around £90.00 per set…they are more than I paid for the alloys.
Given the resto was touching £3.5k…SWMBO was starting to give me…The Long Haired One Look" :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

I do toooooo

6 Likes

By Jove Sir…that’s awful bonny too.

Ha – great minds… looks great.

And shows what mine would have looked like with the original roof – is yours a Monaco/Monza? - looks like it has a decal?

1 Like

Mk1_Retro?
See what you started?
“The Rise of the Mk1’s…be afraid”
It’s enough to make an ND’s bonnet explode.

Monaco :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha ha

Here’s somebody who took it maybe a bit too far…

miata1bz

4 Likes

That’ll do for Tesco car park though on a Saturday!
Too much offset I’d say.

1 Like

Are there such things as ND steel wheels?

I’ve never seen that - i’m guessing it wouldn’t look quite right as they modernised the design of the car generally for the ND, so old school, functional wheels probably look a bit odd?

Here’s another one looking good…

5 Likes

… and from 1951:

1 Like