Anyone had a wobble?

Yesterday I had a wobble, no, not a wheel wobble but a moment when I questioned whether or not to sell my mx5 ND2. I’m not entirely sure what brought this moment of doubt on, maybe the lack of use due to COVID, getting a bit older and considering the cost of running 2 cars (which is not actually a problem) I’m not really sure. I’m pleased to say the moment passed quickly, as the thought of not having an mx-5 around to enjoy brought me to my senses. One thing I have decided though is not to be too precious about it and make sure it gets more use in the future. Soft paint, stone chips, the odd mark - what does it really matter? I plan to just get on and enjoy driving…it’s what it’s all about.

15 Likes

a what?

d935188de3b25b47e9eb3c2b3e699cf9

3 Likes

Agree, enjoy. We bought ours to enjoy and drive, as we have with most of our cars. Lifes short

2 Likes

I’ve had a few of these ‘wobbles’ involving 5’s :nerd_face: each time I end up buying another to replace the one I’ve sold! Current NC2 Sport Tech did 1.5k miles between MOT’s this time around and I did wonder about moving on. Then I just thought to myself, roughly £500 a year to tax/MOT/insure. Just put petrol in it when needed and off I go (well, when/if restrictions allow). I’ve spent way more than it’s worth getting it something like so feel that a tenner a week nowadays to have it at my disposal is good value! I like to have a mx5 around just in case! :grinning: if you do scratch the itch, there are plenty out there to replace it.

Barrie

7 Likes

Sold my gen 2 Boxster S a couple of months back as it was sitting on the drive costing money and not being used. Bought myself a NA instead which doesn’t nearly cost the same, but still delivers the same experience - just not had chance to get the roof off yet!
So i wobbled, fell off and got back on at a different spot :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Cars are there to be used, enjoy washing and cleaning them but think of the memories made with the odd mark or scratch. Covid has made all of this tricky but its about what you want, it is only a car, but if you didnt have it what would you replace it with!

5 Likes

i’ve had 6 really nice mx5’s ( + 1 not so nice ) :sunglasses:
i’ve had 7 “wobbles” and fallen over every time :worried:
i’m now looking for number 8 … :nerd_face: wishing i had kept a few of them :thinking: :thinking:

5 Likes

Don’t do it I sold my NC 3 years ago and immediately regretted it went for 2 years without one, but couldn’t hold out any longer . Bought a Sport Black in the end I will keep this one until we can’t get in or out of it anymore. They really are so addictive.:rofl:

4 Likes

Thanks for the excellent replies, it seems I’m not alone. I admit to having some form on this, as I probably sold my MK2 too early having spent quite a bit on maintaining and improving it. Fortunately, I have a patient and understanding wife who has put up with my antics for nearly 40 years., I don’t know how she does it!

2 Likes

Spending money and tinkering with them is half the enjoyment of ownership I think.

4 Likes

Another thing that has dawned on me is that it doesn’t really matter which model, the main thing is having an mx-5. Each model has something going for it and all are rewarding to own.

7 Likes

Since you mentioned The Wombles and seeing as it’s nearly xmas…

The Wombles Wombling merry Christmas - YouTube

2 Likes

Had one last year, but I kept my 2015 ND 1.5l SE-L Nav…and got a ND 30AE to keep it company! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

My NA is car #59 in the 30 years since passing my test. SWMBO is not impressed but has sort of gotten used to it.
Record is 2 weeks ownership before selling on. Most of the time I enjoy the hunt more than the owning part

3 Likes

I’m on the hunt for another but it may be a mistake, the current one has lasted over 6 years. So has my daily driver over 6 years ownership, a record for me, it’s usually 3 years tops.

2 Likes

A record to be proud of…not many can match that! :1st_place_medal:

Pleased you’re keeping it. Life’s too short to be without an MX5. I’m keeping mine, and the Merc c220 AMG Sport coupe AND the Yamaha fzs600 Fazer motorbike! I’m also 80yrs old (about 25 in my head)

13 Likes

Had so many in the last month or so ! I have ended up putting it as SORN and leaving in the garage. But agree with you on the enjoying it I need to do this! I have had it nearly 2 years and its been out in the wet once… and thats only because it catched me out ! My trouble is we have a bulldog and a mk 1 is not the most ideal and anywhere we drive to we want to take the dog ! But I know once its gone I will miss it! I am due to change my daily soon so it depends what I get to replace the Volvo I think. :rofl::man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thanks Bob. Wise words.

You’re welcome.