Anyone had a wobble?

Currently having a major wobble. Just got in from work and a visit to my local Ford dealer,where I’ve just been told that my new-to-me transit custom needs a new engine,injectors and goodness knows what else.
As much as I love my NB,its getting harder to justify having it sat outside the house

Bad luck, sorry to hear that.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ve had such bad luck with vans over the years,I thought that buying newer would be trouble free for a few years

Not a wobble really, as I dont intend to sell either the mx5 or my motorbike, but me and swmbo went out and bought a motorhome last week, another toy to play with! Let’s hope things settle down next year so we can get out and about, or it will be the first thing to go!

2 Likes

I had a wobble in the middle of lockdown and sold my TVR. Only had it for six months. I’ll regret it for years but it was still the right thing. At least 5s are generally not too expensive (or mine haven’t been)

1 Like

They’re cool, sure but…I’ve lost count of the people…ok men…who have told me how their hardtop Saab, Porsche, Merc blah only takes 12 secs to fold/unfold. Yes, I say, my MX5 ragtop takes 2s either way. Silence!

2 Likes

Saab never made a hardtop only rag top convertibles

Fair enough, but the owners still tell you how fast their roof moves when it’s far slower than a modern hand-operated MX5

Having had a Peugeot CC (supposedly reverse engineered from an SLK) for 18 months and had the roof stick in the lowered position twice, I can only say NEVER AGAIN…

Driving past a garage 5 years ago I spotted a 3.75, couldn’t resist it = 2 litres, auto / power shift. I still love it, it is a bit lived in. Have promised the other half, I will get rid when I can either not get in it, or get out of it!
MX5 has to be the best of cheapish cheerful motoring

4 Likes

Lol. Even the roof on my 2013 PRHT is faster than the roof on my partner’s 2015 Mercedes SLK.

Well can only say that i only drive one car in all seasons , the mx5! At first i disliked the winter abuse and found it almost impossible to keep clean and above all stone and chip free , but the thing is its my precious mx5 and i want drive it what ever the weather and i feel iam the lucky one who enjoys this fabulous car all year round , and if its not always shinning like a star so be it !!! iAfter 35 years in the motor trade i feel blessed having this lovely little car in my life that is a pleasure every day not just sunny ones ,
best wishes Dave Mayoss

4 Likes

I had many a wobble when owning my 2016 Fiesta ST2 until 2020… The problem wasn’t the fact that my cars now are largely driven for pleasure or popping down the supermarket etc. I was in the wrong car and didn’t realise it until having a chat with one of my neighbour friends… We got chatting about cars and eventually I mentioned the MX-5. I spent 6 years demonstrating NB and NC’s at a main dealer (2006-2012) and think I forgot the fact that I knew I wanted one one day…! So whilst we were reflecting and talking Covid, he said, if you want one, get one, then I did in July 2020… No more wobbles…! Life’s too short…

4 Likes

Sometimes all we need is a little nudge! Lovely car.

1 Like

Yeh! Life’s for living, not a rehearsal!

3 Likes

I had an ownership wobble in the summer. Convinced the wife to come for a drive, but she’d assumed i meant half an hour round villages and not 2 hours on dual carriageways!
But I reminded myself to look beyond lockdowns to a time we can go to car meets and shows again :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I’ve wobbled into MX-5 ownership.

Decided to get a sports car at 47 and do a few track days before I get too old, so bought a 2009 Cayman 2.9 Gen2.

Over the 2 years I owned it, I spent about £2k in servicing and repairs, and realised it was going to need a lot more to get it into a good condition and replace ageing parts, which is always expensive paying for Porsche parts, even the pattern parts are expensive, ‘porsche tax’ on everything!

I enjoyed it for the time I had it, but also realised a soft top would be more enjoyable, and started looking at MX-5s and Abarth 124s.
My local dealer Johnsons Gloucester, who I have a CX-5 from let me have an MX-5 for a day and I was hooked.
Then a soul red 2018 2.0 Sport Nav came up for sale and the rest is history.

Looking forward to this summer to really get to know the MX-5. Good to have something a lot newer that should not require so many expensive repairs.

Should be more fun, as you couldn’t use the performance of the Porsche 90% of the time.

Also people treat you strangely when you have a Porsche, they think you’re showing off, when I’d bought it for the good handling and the wonderful flat 6 engine.

7 Likes

And you have wobbled in the right direction! Lovely car, cheaper too maintain and you can enjoy more of the power more of the time…! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Good choice and totally agree with your thoughts

2 Likes

I recently test drove a 986 2.7 and came to the same conclusion, it seemed a hugely capable car but under about 60mph it was like driving my Golf mk7. Don’t get me wrong I love my Golf but MX5’s make me smile at all speeds. It did however have a lot more cabin room which I curse MX5’s for. All Porsches seem to be very long geared in my experience.

4 Likes