Anyone own a Cx5?

We currently run a MX5 ND2 1.5 and a Golf GTD, soon to retire and spend more time exploring UK and possibly Europe too. So we need something to replace the Golf.

A late model CX5 seems to fit the bill in several ways, but would like to hear if anyone else here owns one ? Does it have any short comings or reliability issues ?

Would probably go for the 2.0 sky active petrol with an auto box, my mx5 is manual, but I’m not sure the Cx5 would suit it.

My initial thoughts are it could feel a bit underpowered, but will test drive Friday to see if it’s noticeable.

Thanks for any opinions.

Can’t comment on the CX-5 though seems to have a fairly good reputation.

For your requirements have you thought about a Toyota C-HR? A well made, comfortable and economic car which would be well suited for the use you’re outlining. There has recently been a model change so can’t comment on the best engine choice for the new one, for the up to 2023 model the 2.0L is the best one for a bit of easy power on the motorway.

My dad has a 2016 model (66 plate), since new.
I’m not aware of any serious issues with it, and trust me, I’d be the first person he’d call.

1 Like

@IanH thanks … I’ll give it a look.

I had one for 3 years. They are good to drive. Not fast at all, but they handle well. The only issues I had were condensation in the rear lights, the infotainment screen occasionally going blank (fixed on next restart) and paint that goes dull at the first sign of bird lime, despite lots of wax.

They have Auto Hold but it is rubbish in manual cars, which mine was, as it refuses to release until the clutch is burning. I used the EPB instead. Auto Hold works just fine in auto Mazdas.

In the end I traded the CX-5 for a Mazda 3 because I don’t like the image of SUVs. I always felt a bit of a ■■■■■■ getting out of it.

2 Likes

Did yours have lane assist ? I understand it can be deactivated but not sure if that’s permanent or per trip . This particular feature (alongside keyless entry) seems to be a feature no one seems to want !

Yes it did, and it can be turned right down in the menu so you just get an occasional rumble sound from the speakers. On the Mazda 3, lane assist and collision avoidance can both be completely disabled in the menus, which is marvellous.

I’m not averse to safety features but LDWS and Smart City Brake create more hazards than they avoid, as the false detection rate is so high (you soon get fed up of the BRAKE! warning on a road where you have to weave around parked cars). This stuff has to be better than a human, or there’s no point.

Adaptive cruise is also trigger-happy on the brakes. I can see a car indicating to pull off onto a slip road, but cruise control is too stupid to know that and slams the anchors on.

I only want ABS, really - that does something a human can’t do, allowing you to steer and brake very hard on any surface.

1 Like

Am with you on that one ! A close relation who lives in a rural area is seriously considering getting rid of a perfectly good newish vw golf as lane assist has to be turned off daily and of course occasionally it’s forgotten.

I have an MX5 NB 2.5 1.8 and a manual diesel 2.2 CX5 from 2014 - which is half the age of my MX5 with double the mileage, now on almost 140k. The CX5 has been brilliant, ultra reliable, comfortable, spacious, a nice burst of power when required, we’re delighted with it. However, in the past 9 months I get a red warning light with the message “Vehicle system inspection required”. So far, my local garage has failed to find the cause, others have the same issue, Mazda has been unable to help them resolve it. The car still drives the same, I just have to take it in every 500 to 1000 miles for the code to be reset - tedious though manageable. The petrol version is probably ok!

1 Like

My daughter had a Cx5 with the turbo diesel engine, same as Mazda 6. Absolutely lovely to drive, think it was on about 50k miles.
Have twin turbo set up and one of the turbos failed. Cost of replacing turbo in a garage was almost cost of car so having worked as mechanic for 20 years before changing trade I undertook repair myself and fitted recon twin turbo set up.
Most awkward job I’ve ever done on a car. Became suspicious as found all connections, electric, oil feeds ect were all marked with coloured dots of paint so you couldn’t mix up. Looked to me like engine had been out or replaced.
After a lot of digging, research by myself and very clued up friend it turns out this engine turbo set up has some issues which Mazda have been keen to keep under radar.
Firstly if regularly used on short journeys or if sitting at low speed in traffic they tend to burn a little bit of oil, not an issue in itself but in same circumstances they lose a bit of the diesel combustion mix past rings into bottom end at about the same rate oil burns off. So you check oil on dip stick and all looks good but oil in sump is gradually changing to a derv/oil mix which is obviously not good. Turbo being most vulnerable but can lead to cam and general engine wear.
Oil feed to turbos is from right at top of turbo assembly and when engine stops it obviously slowly runs back to sump, stop start facility means when lights go green and your accelerating away turbo under load but runs initially with reduced oil pressure.
Also air supply valve which switches air feed between turbos has weak link which drops a fixing pin. If your lucky just stops turbos working properly but can go into turbo which is then catastrophic.
When Mazda get a car back still under warranty with signs of any of the above they drop whole engine and turbo assembly out and fit new package. Fantastic customer service and keeps there reliability records looking good as just tell customer turbo issue is fixed. However not good if cars not under warranty and can happen at relatively low mileages.
Have since met a few people who have had engines fail in the Mazda 6 probably for same reason.
If your doing motorway miles and driving hard and turn off stop start then probably good for 250k but if you want for the school run I would steer clear.

2 Likes

I actually moved to France recently and brought over a CX-5 that I found in California. It’s a 2019 model, 2.5L SkyActiv petrol, in a sleek Machine Gray color. The car’s been fantastic, both comfortable and reliable for longer trips across Europe, although it does feel a bit sluggish when loaded up on steeper grades. But overall, no major issues!

The automatic transmission is smooth and suits the vehicle well, making it a relaxing drive. I used A1 Auto Transport for shipping, and the process was surprisingly straightforward for a first-timer like me; it cost around $3000. More details on the process can be found here: https://www.a1autotransport.com/ship-car-to-europe/.

1 Like