Anyone regretted buying an ND2 after selling an ND1?

Hi folks,

I currently have a 2018 2.0 Z-Sport. Excellent car, love driving it, but have just test driven a 2.0 ND2 2019 GT Sport Nav+. I definitely noticed a lack of low down torque on the ND2, although it definitely took off after 4k revs.

Just wondering if anyone has missed the low down torque of the ND1 after buying an ND2?

Thanks for any replies.

2 Likes

No.
:heart:

Succinct and to the point, cheers mate. I ask only because i’m away to hand over my car plus a few £000 to maybe buy this car, but the lack of torque under 4,000 revs is very noticeable, and under 4000 revs is where most of my driving is done. Just don’t want to regret anything…

Stop worrying, it will still pull cleanly from 30mph in 6th gear. I can honestly say it has not been an issue for me.
If you do, then dropping one gear is easy and pleasurable.
The top end urgency IS noticeable. (2nd is good for 60mph and 3rd 90mph)
:heart:

Thanks. I know, i did 60 in 2nd today! I’ve had a 94 Eunos NA (still remember nearly every long trip in that car, as close to a go-kart as I’ve driven) a 2002 NB2 Phoenix, and my ND1 Z-Sport 2.0 with full kit.

I love the Z-Sport, but today was my first ever drive in the 184 ND2. It was a blast, i admit, but i genuinely noticed the lack of pull lower down. Guess I’m just looking for a bit of reassurance before i pull the trigger…

1 Like

I had switched from an ND1 to an ND2. I enjoy high-revving engines although most of the time of course you’re not driving near the redline. I didn’t regret the change at all as I was fortunate to be able to afford it. BBR200 kit on the ND2 makes it not only able to rev a bit higher, but improves low-down torque too.

Mr roddinson uses the nd1 to race for a reason. Thats good enough for me

1 Like

Sorry, can you explain please - Mr Roddinson?

1 Like

Edoardo, i can afford it, but money’s money. I don’t intend adding a BBR conversion, so it’ll stay stock.

I found myself thinking of my old Eunos Roaster when i was driving it, that car used to redline in no time at all.

This car is 20k with 9,500 on the clock. They’ll give me £14.750 for my car, but i want £15k or I’ll walk away. Is £20k a good price for a 2019 GT Sport Nav +?

Oh, i also noted marks on the black hood, about 2 inches in from either side low down at the back. One almost looks frayed. I can see it on my hood too, but not so bad even though I’ve done 3 times the mileage. Anyone noticed these marks before?

Sorry meant paul roddison.
Very well know in the mx5 racing scene prefers the nd1 engine over the nd2 as theres a lot more low down torque to pull you out the corners.

Thanks. That’s really interesting. I assume his race car isn’t stock though and probably revs a lot more than the stock ND1? But he clearly knows the ND2 doesn’t pull as it should low down then…

1 Like

Oh no, its definately not stock. It only has a map, and a decat manifold. so hardly anything done to the engine. He was telling me how it will pull away from an nd2 out of a corner but the nd2 will close in/if not overtake on a straight. Id stick with your nd1 i was debating doing the same but after a map and manifold it will have more power and way nore torque than an nd2.

Cheers mate, appreciate your input. I’m leaning towards keeping my Z-Sport, just cos i felt the ND2 lacked a lot under 4k and i don’t want to have to drive like a boy racer all the time to get the best out of a car.

1 Like

Exactly why i like mine. Even though im the age category of “boy racer”. I can get going without having to rag it. Bare in mind, i think the main reason mazda did thisbwas to try and protect that gearbox, so its less likely to fail in an nd2

1 Like

I’ve gone 1.5 ND > 2.0 ND2 > 1.5 ND2 - the ND2 engine comes alive around the point you’re hitting the speed limit or needing to change down for a corner.

The 1.5 spins like crazy and makes more sense (to me) in real world driving, a much more satisfying experience, caveat - the nearest motorway to me is 80 miles away so that doesn’t factor into the type of driving I do.

2 Likes

That’s interesting Ian, going back to the 1.5, i can totally see your logic; hence why maybe an ND2 just isn’t for me.

I’ve done over 15,000 miles in my ND, and love it, and was really surprised how flat the ND2 felt below 4000 revs.

Btw, I’m born and bred Aberdeen, used to work in Aboyne. I currently stay in the central belt, and really miss Deeside for a run in the car - the roads here are sadly just too busy. Fortunately, Perthshire is just a short drive away.

1 Like

Interesting one, that. I’ve just joined the club having just bought a 2018 Z-Sport. Absolutely cracking little car, I love the colour combo and it’s a great spec!
I drove a few MX-5s before I bought it including a pre-reg 1.5 and a current 2.0 RF. As soon as I got moving in the Z-Sport (mine’s done just under 8,000 miles) it felt the best of anything I’d driven, I didn’t know why at the time but have concluded after a quick bit of research that it’s down to the torque and where in the rev range it’s produced… I’m not a flat-out driver and so the characteristics suit me.
Not much help if you’ve already bought but I’m sure you’ll love the new one and will get used to it :+1:t3:

1 Like

Hi MontyMX-5, welcome to the forum. Coincidentally, it’s a 2018 Z-Sport i have too, bought two years ago with 12k of the clock, I’ve now done about 30k.

It is a great spec on the car, love the sand leather and the torque of the engine. Like you, i eventually got around to driving an ND2 and was expecting a bit more from it. Hard to justify changing for improved performance between 6-7,500 revs, cos in the real world, that’s not somewhere you’re at very often.

Enjoy the forum, has helped me fix a few cars over the years…

2 Likes

I’ve got a 5 speed NC2 2L and the power-band starts around 4K. For anyone that’s driven a 2L ND1 or 2, how much difference is there, torque wise, in the powerband compared to a 2L NC1 or 2?

Had my 7 year old 2.0 ND1 with just over 20k on the clock in for service and MOT today. Looking at the used MX-5s on the forecourt I’d say mine would probably be worth £15k now. There’s also a new RF in the showroom with a £34k+ price tag. Not going to be changing any time soon.