Anyone running a Fast Forward supercharger?

Just been looking on their website and must say these look a fantastic kit. Bloody expensive, but ultra reliable, which is what impresses me.

Just wondered if anyone on the forum was running one and could recommend them?

H’m MP62 Cold side S/C - flyingmiata.com started this, but seems to have dropped it - wonder why?
Intake on the Fast Forward Kit is wrong (IMHO) the intake should be on the cold side, hence the name of the animal. ‘Fast Forward’ is unknown to me, maybe SAZ knows something?

Suggest you ask one of our locals, 5speed.co.uk they fit anything to boost power.

Intake can be on either side. The charger is on the cold side and runs without any need for an intercooler. Uses the stock ECU as well. Looks fantastic to me.

Yes I have a fast forward superchargers coldside kit fitted to my Mk2.5 sport.  There are 2 members in the North Thames Region that have the kit. They are a very well designed kit and if fitted correctly can look completely like a stock Mazda installation.

Tom from FFS is a very helpful guy and will ensure you have no problems with the installation.

The standard kit uses the factory ECU and 3 power cards to control timing, fuelling and additional fuelling for the 2 extra injectors. The kit as standard is around 190/200 WHP and is pretty much fit and forget. Fuel consumption is similar to standard providing you don’t mash the throttle pedal all the time.

The kit adds a good degree of torque and rather than using all the rev range to get it moving, you can use lower revs and the improved torque. But if you use the entire rev range it goes very well. 

My FFS kit was bought without the fuelling and timing cards, as I was lucky to get a kit that had been imported into the UK and never fitted to the car. The kit though did not include any fuelling or engine management. I am now running an aftermarket Megasquirt 3 ECU and wideband sensor.

Supercharger

The kit is well designed and fits well, although it is a tight fit.

The only thing I did not like about the standard kit, was the flexible air intake pipe for the supercharger, I thought this did not look very good, so I made my own below.

Intake

I used solid aluminium pipe and covered it with carbon effect vinyl wrap and a selection of elbows.

I also used part of my old monster flow inlet kit to ensure i had the air filter in the coolest place.

Filter

I then ran a cold air feed from the front of the grill to the air filter.

Grill

air feed

The overall front look and me drifting at Oulton Park at the spring rally.

Spring Rally drifting

The only downside with the kit is the cost; all in mine was around £3.5K

But i really love the kit and the power, as well as a nearly stock look.

If you would like some further information or are ever in the Essex area and would like a ride in my car give me a shout.

Chris

Chris, thank you very much for your post. I agree entirely about the induction, I don’t like the flexi pipe but yours looks superb. 

Does the other owner use the Fast Forward cards on his?

Yes he uses the standard power cards supplied with the kit. Power wise there is not much difference between my kit and his, although i have more potential for extra power and improved mapping that i can see on screen within Tunerstudio.

With the Megasquirt system you can also use “Autotune” if you fit a wide=band sensor. this gets your tune about 95% of the way very easily. Saving on expensive rolling road time.

Drew the other FFS supercharger installation uses the flexible pipe currently, but he has seen mine and is going to fabricate his own version in a similar fashion.

He has used the flexible pipe on both the coldside and hotside positions.

I think he is also considering the Megasquirt route as well.

You can buy the kit at a cheaper price without engine management and now there are 2 or 3 aftermarket ECU’s which can control the VVT, without and additional box or software.

Chris

That’s really useful information Chris, very much appreciated thank you. 

just seen this that kit looks fantastic and so standard looking