Anyone successfully replaced BOSE door speakers in 3.5 or newer NC?

Has anybody simply replaced the BOSE door speakers only (not a bosectomy) in an MK3.5 or newer NC, if so what did you use?

I gather the NC1 can use the focals but can the 3.5? also the Clearwaters seem to be only 2005-9

Cheers

I’m about to replace mine with a set of Vibe Black Air speakers. If you’ve replaced the head unit, then really, you can use whatever speakers you want as long as they’ll fit the aperture :blush: Incidentally, since I’m taking the cabin to bits anyway, to get access to the rear speakers, I’ve bought a box of sound deadening sheets to do at the same time!

I believe a lot of guys on here have used JBLs as they’re a direct fit.

I think the original Bose are only 2 ohms, so that may limit your choice if keeping the original head unit. IMO the door speakers are definitely a weak point in the system, in my ND2 at least.

1 Like

I had an Alpine unit installed by a guy and I asked about some new speakers and he said if they are Bose just get dealer to do it ( they aren’t )

For some reason

Just a further thought. Have a look at this- these guys have made an excellent guide to upgrading the NC audio system, both Bose & non-Bose. You can also search through their system to see what kit is most compatible with your vehicle. Might give you some inspiration :blush:

1 Like

Gallaibh, Any info on which particular ones your using? Please let me know if they work ok (no loss of volume etc)

Cheers

1 Like

I have two of these for the door tweeters;

Two of these for the rear speakers;

And two of these for the bass door speakers;

I’m not anticipating any loss in sound as Vibe speakers are renowned for their quality. I’ve heard these wee guys before and they are LOUD :joy: Hence the higher price tag. I spread the cost over a few months so I could get the ones I wanted. The build quality is simply stunning too. Well worth the punt. The impedance on these ones is 4ohm. The Bose ones, I believe, are 2ohm but if you’ve changed the head unit then it doesn’t matter, you can use whatever speakers you want :blush:

I’m looking at swapping the speakers out on my Bose system (2005 NC Launch edition) - Already swapped the head unit to a pioneer double din. I don’t mind swapping the amp out to open up a wider choice of speakers but is it possible to adapt the existing wiring to the Bose amp without butchering it, also has anyone any recommendations for a suitable amp (it’s years since I was in the car stereo scene but I once decked out a 1972 beetle with sub’s active crossovers etc it was mint but got sold for the deposit on my first house)

After doing the old research it would appear I have three options

1 the full Bose out with new speakers all around pros best sound negatives cost and possible butchering of wiring although I have found a full wiring diagram and a how to guide to do this

2 not sure if this has been done but keep the Bose amp but buy new speakers and match the ohms ratings up (8” are 1 ohm all other speakers are 4 ohm) pros less butchering negatives try sourcing the correct sized speakers at the correct rating could be hard, no guarantee on getting a balanced set up.

3 running new cables from the head unit and installing a pair of components in the doors and disconnecting the Bose amp. Pros can be turned back to stock easily and cost negatives loosing the rear speakers and centre

I’m thinking of option 3 but then this could either be component speakers or a decent set of full range speakers.

I’ll do more research and let you know but one thing for certain dry January will be a breeze with all the permutations running through my simple head