hungin a bath with an aqueous solution of zinc, the sheet being the
cathode (minus pole) and the anode being suspendedin this zinc
solution (Positive pole), the zinc plate is coated by applying a
DC voltage, which means that all Mazda vehicles are now protected
against corrosion (rust).

Be assured that we take the issue of corrosion very seriously and
therefore constantly adjust our production. "
"
Sounds like galvanizing doesn’t it? Wonder if something has changed and newer ones are better protected? In any event I’d doubt that the aluminium bonnet and boot lid have the same treatment. Also I’d bet that this doesn’t apply to the suspension arms, subframes etc.

There’s galvanizing and there’s galvanising…

I bought some fence wire on-line for my apple espaliers, and it was “galvanized”, but the coating was so thin it was rusting after one winter. I can’t help but compare this with some other fence wire I bought and erected almost forty years ago which has yet to show any significant rust.

I guess the rusty wire was electroplated, whereas the durable wire was hot-dipped.

If you watched the BMW Mini being built on the BBC James May program five years ago, that body shell went through a bath of some kind. The results speak for themselves.

Thank you everyone.

We have sealed the leak now (hopefully) but lost one of the coverings so had to order one from MX5city :woman_facepalming:

Thank you everyone regarding the comments on panel preparation.

Happy motoring :racing_car:

1 Like

Much information here:-
https://www.galvanicar.com
Wish we knew where all this info. comes from. Anyway it looks as if there was an MX-5 improvement in 2011 and another one in 2017. Perhaps we can assume that the ND2 is galvanized by a dip like most other makes nowadays.

2 Likes