Audio Upgrade

Yeah thanks I know about that bolt - have seen it causing alot of scratched knuckles and swearing on YouTube!

What’s the GPS / phone receiver taped under the console? I know I have a USB port already in the cubby under the drawer, and an AUX plug also I think.

This, was on mine but you may/may not have it on yours.
Sure it was the phone thingamabob as the GPS antenna was stuck on top of the unit.
EDIT-Looking at the photo’s pretty sure it was the cable for the GPRS. ( GPRS stands for **General Packet Radio Service).
But as others say, it’s an easier job with the consul out.

Can you remove that whole bracket rather than just the 10mm bolt? That would free up some space for the multitude of cables.

Yep, I had the handbrake cable to patch into

Yep and flogged the lot on eBay.
Mine was TomTom but pretty sure it will all be the same behind.

If you are into a bit of DIY, you can get an arduino/similar device that reads analog input, and use that to convert the steering wheel control information. I am using a raspberry Pi with an MCP3008 chip and it works great!

Can I be fairly safe in the assumption that if I buy a decent Kenwood / Pioneer system from Dynamic Sounds and get the new wiring loom kit - that the steering wheel controls will continue to work, and this won’t require me to solder any wires or install mini-computers under the dash?!

Yep, simply plug and play.
But as you said you must get the right bits.
Will dig out later what you need if you haven’t done so already. :+1:
Think it was MickAP who told me that Kenwood/Pioneer are basically the same company.
It’s actually quite satisfying doing it as long as you take your time.

1 Like

JVC & Kenwood are the same company👍

I was close. :flushed::joy::+1:

2 Likes

Thanks guys - I’m much clearer now and more confident I can do this myself now. I’ll probably have to remove the centre console, which actually isn’t such a big thing. I get the stereo and all the relevant gubbins from Dynamic Sounds (fascia, wiring loom) and then bung it jobs a good un. Looks like I need to replace the aerial too if I want to utilise the DAB, although that never seems to get mentioned on any how to vids I’ve watch. And I think I’ll leave out the reversing cam as that’s probably a step too far for me!

One more bit of advice - I’m leaning towards spending more than less, probably a stereo around the £400 mark - just because I’m going for quality etc. But given I’ll be using Android Auto and Apple Car Play 99% of the time - does it really matter that much what the head unit like given you’re essentially just using the phone to cast to the head unit? Assume speed of the processor, touch screen responsiveness and potential sound benefits are key but other than that it’s probably a moot point as to what the stereo ‘does’

This is what I installed for the Kenwood.
I use Apple CarPlay and it automatically connects with either mine or my wife’s phone if she is using.
Go for the reverse camera😉
Not expensive and easy to fit/feed through.
Can send some pics if you are up for it.
Left the prices in as a comparison for you for now, (April 2021 time flys!).
I used 3 different suppliers as some had offers on at the time.
Plenty of us on here to advise if you get stuck. :+1:

1. KENWOOD DMX8019DABS. (CAR AUDIO CENTRE) £444.95
    (DMX8020 is the latest I think)

2. CONNECTS 2 FACIA CT24MZ20 (DYNAMIC SOUNDS) £32.95

3. CONNECTS 2 WIRING LOOM- CTSMZ002.2 (CONNECTS THE STEERING WHEEL FUNCTIONS ETC). CAR AUDIOCENTRE £44.99

4. KENWOOD PATCH LEAD- (THAT PLUGS INTO THE BRAIN BOX OF 3). £4.99

5. CONNECTS 2 ANTENNA ADAPTER- CT27AA36. FROM DYNAMIC SOUNDS (eBay FORGOT IT ON THE FIRST ORDER). £8.99

6. DAB ANTENNA -WENT WITH THE KENWOOD DAB-A1 DYNAMIC SOUNDS £12.95

7. KENWOOD CMOS-230 REVERSING CAMERA. CAR AUDIO CENTRE £65.00

2 Likes

Can anyone who’s done this, (Bose head unit in my case), confirm that the steering wheel Phone button works as previously? Mine now just acts an ATT/ mute button.

Pretty much all aftermarket head units let you map the steering wheel buttons to whatever functions you like, check the settings in the head unit or the manual.

Sadly I didnt fit it and as it stands the Mute option is the only choice visible/available. I do intend, when time permits, to take it all out and start again.

Many aftermarket head units have a setting screen where you map the steering wheel buttons to a function on the head unit.

The head unit does not understand the signal it is getting from each button so it needs teaching.

1 Like

Thanks so much for this info - Dynamic Sounds sell Stereo upgrade packs which I think contain everything you need. Not sure why but they don’t have the DMX8 series in those pack configs, just the DMX5 series and the 7 series (which is pricier). I’m struggling to see much difference between the 2. If I went with the more expensivee 7 series - which I’m minded to do - I’m looking at close to 600 quid with the rear camera.

If you went with one of the 'upgrade ’ bundles from Dynamic Sounds (or others) they may well include a DAB aerial - the sort that sticks onto the windscreen. When I bought my Pioneer unit it didn’t come with the aerial so I bought one that’s very similar to the existing FM one as I wanted the same look rather than something stuck on the screen (recommended by another forum member). It did mean that I needed to run the new aerial cable from the boot to the head unit but I was putting some sound deadening in the back so it made sence to do this at the same time (inc the reversing camera cables).

1 Like

Also I believe the Kenwood / JVC head units are a bit shorter so there’s a bit of extra space behind them for the cables. The Pioneer (SPH DA360 in my case as I wanted Wireless Car Play / Android) is shorter in depth than the original unit so you can still fit all the gubbins behind with a bit of fiddling but not as spacious as the Kenwood / JVC options. They’re all an improvement on the original.

1 Like

You have reached the difficult decision time. :flushed::joy:
Obviously, I don’t know a great deal about the current series without researching etc.
I am a firm believer in, “you get what you pay for”.
All I will say is make sure it has the wireless Apple CarPlay/Android Auto.
From memory (if you go the Kenwood route) put the specifications of the units up on a computer (or print) and see what you want and what you get with each one. :man_shrugging:
Look at competition and see what prices are online and then ring them, it can work in your favour.
I had a windscreen aerial which is fine.
I can also get FM still by switching to FM (obviously) and still works with my existing stubby.
That was by more luck than judgment by the way.
Like others researched and gleaned from others before doing what I did.
The important point is do what you want at the end of the day. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like