Auto v manual

That will be why - well documented on t’interweb

The update was done on it’s first service in 2018, before M-B had been implicated formally.

The more I search for a MK1, the more autos I come across that seem to be in good nick, usually at a price point below manuals - seriously considering one now, particularly as my wife has an auto and she might actually want to drive it (and if nothing else, perhaps be more tolerant of my endless “what do you think of this one, darling?” as I trawl the ads) :grin:

1 Like

Unlikely slusher Mk1’s have been hammered into the weeds by zit-squeezing “Bad boys Bad boys” 17" jockeys.

1 Like

I’ll need to pick your brains on Autos then… I’ll PM

That’s how I ended up with mine, less money, better condition, lower miles etc. What was not to like about it :+1: and I really enjoyed it. Remember, same chassis etc, so handling not an issue when throwing it around on nice roads :nerd_face:

Barrie

1 Like

Great to know Barrie, cheers

1 Like

Shame they don’t do the ND soft top with an auto.

1 Like

A shame? :no_entry:

Some people can only drive an auto, and it’s a shame they only fitted an auto in the RF.

2 Likes

That’s me! I lost the use of my right arm in a motorcycle accident many years ago so I have to drive an auto. I did have a few test drives in NAs and NBs but they really didn’t do it for me. However, one NC and two NDs later and I am very happy with my auto MX5s.

It’s horses for courses, I suppose. Drive the MX5 that suits you, they’re all good!

3 Likes

Yes they are, its all about setting them up correct just like a manual, but it also depends on model and engine.
I build them all ,repair them all ,set them up ,etc etc regardless , and my daily’s are Autos, MK 1 1.8 and a MK 2 1.8, i will not change them, i have manuals also, that are also well sorted and set up to be driven not looked at, but my autos are my rides, with what i do owners are shocked that i have Autos, i don’t understand what the stigma is about them, i throw them the keys to take them for a blast, the smile on the return tells me all i need to know with what they did not expect.
They are no less fun than my manuals.
M-m

5 Likes

The MX5 is a drivers cars, so the automatic, excuse the pun, reaction would be to expect an auto to be a disaster.
Having spoken to many MX5 auto owners, mainly MK1 1.6 and 1.8 but also MK2.5 1.8 auto and the very occasional MK2 auto, australia and English.
These cars work really well in auto form and the only issue as Wayne(Mazda Mender) and Robin(Scottishfiver) will back up is the sad fact that the parts involved, particularly on the MK1 are clearly showing signs of being past their sell by date.
I do not think I have ever encountered an auto that gets less stick, another pun, than the MX5 :blush:

Glad you lived to tell the tale and ride a 4 wheel “super bike” now. :wink:

1 Like