Auto v manual

Hi I have just git an x5 love it to bits wondering if an auto would be as mutch fun

Yes once you acclimatise.

3 Likes

ā€¦yes, particularly if they come with flappy paddles?

The mx-5 is the only manual we have now and if we replaced it, it would be with another manual mx-5. Itā€™s just nice to drive a ā€œproperā€ car. The Audi S3 I also own is DSG and in no way could you change gear as quickly in a manual, this helps to make it extremely quick. My partnerā€™s Mercedes-Benz SLC has a 9 speed slush box and is so smooth you canā€™t feel the gear changes. Horses for courses.

Iā€™ve owned one auto Eunos and thought it was very good indeed! Old school box but held in 2nd on twisty roads, as good as any manual, dare I say, better?

Our main car A6 S line Avant is manual and a great drive but took son in lawā€™s MB 220 dci estate in for service this morning and really liked the auto box. No idea how many speeds? Maybe 8 or so :joy::+1:

Barrie

9 probably!

:astonished::astonished::astonished: wow! TBH, I didnā€™t venture beyond D5 :joy::joy::joy:

Barrie

I had a golf GTi with a DSG box (having had a manual before, as I wanted a golf ball gear knob!!) and it was excellent. For a car like that which I used to do many miles, it was ideal. However I specifically bought the MX5 as it has a manual gearbox and for me, the interaction with the car is key to its enjoyment. I change gear down a country road far more than I need to as it has an excellent box and I enjoy changing gear.

However not everyone feels like this and thatā€™s fine, but for me it is not bout the speed but the interaction. I have had faster cars but they were less enjoyable.

4 Likes

Our Mercedes-Benz SLC doesnā€™t drop into top (9th) until youā€™re at motorway speeds!

1 Like

Right, never got there, just local roads journey to garage. :grinning:

Barrie

1 Like

Just find a manual a lot more fun than our VW GTi with DSG.

If I canā€™t heel n toe it ainā€™t enough fun .

1 Like

Has it said the software update to fix the dodgy emissions?

Yes it was updated some time ago, they wouldnā€™t tell me what the update was, but I know now!

I saw a lovely pale blue NC auto PRHT just before I bought mine and seriously considered it, but it was sold very quickly because apparently theyā€™re SO rare.

I find the gear change on my manual MK1 a delight to use, Iā€™ve just sold my BMW Z3 3.0 auto for something more ā€˜pureā€™ and engaging and the MX5 excels.

The only other manual gear change that has given me more fun was on my old Cerbera, but for the money I donā€™t think you can beat the Mazda. Would like to try a Honda S2000 one day though.

Oh really. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
If you feel the need to improve I can get you proper lessons.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got an ND auto, I had an NC manual before, I totally love the auto in every way, but theyā€™re not for everyone and I guess if itā€™s a second car then itā€™s nice to play with a manual. Having said that, I can put the auto into manual, switch on sports mode and use the paddles. Get one of each!

4 Likes

So thatā€™s what passes for culture north of the Border is it ? Iā€™ve often wondered ā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ll arrange our Culture Secretary to PM you a brochure.

Specially selected just for you-hoo. :wink:

2 Likes