Awful steering wheel wobble/judder and knocking noise from under car

Hello everyone hoping for some more experienced Mx5 owners to part with some knowledge on an issue I’ve been having the last 2 days. As for the car a Mk2.5 Nevada with around 90k on the clock.
It developed a metal knocking noise under the car sounding around the middle of the car, there is also a shocking steering wheel wobble/judder at 60mph+ I didnt tempt fate and try to see if the wobble went away over 80 I just eased down to around 50ish and the wobble let off.
I have already had the front in the air quickly and checked the ball joints and wheel bearings by man handling the wheel around shaking it left to right and top to bottom, when moving it left to right I can make the knocking happen but it isnt a ball joint or a wishbone bush and sounds like it isnt coming from the suspension more middle of the car. When moving the wheel top to botton there isnt any movement or noise at all, tomorrow I will be putting the back wheels on the front to see if it helps the wobble at all was just wondering if anyone knew some things it could be and what I should check when I have the car up on stands tomorrow. Cheers all.

Apologies in advance as this is going to sound rude. The sound if from the middle of the car, it’s not likely to be the wheels.
However, You are now driving a dangerous car and something needs to be done. Get it to a garage now, before it goes very wrong and does some real damage and not just to the car. Whatever it is needs to be fixed and running around in it why you try to figure out what it is, which will still need fixing anyway, is not a wise thing.
You say it is awful and shocking. It does not matter how much you need the car, it needs fixing now.
In the event of an incident, the police’s approach will be you knew that something was wrong but you did not fix it.

I have stopped driving it, the reason I thought it was something to do with the wheel is due to my old E36 had the same wheel wobble and it was the wheel bearing on its way out and also having the same wheel wobble in another car when the tyres weren’t balanced correctly so I assumed it was something to do with the front wheels and thought id give them the once over

Hi, double check the front drop links, I had a snapped one, made a serious knocking noise but it sounded like it was coming from the middle / rear.

cheers mate ill double check them

Steering rack mounts? Chassis legs collapsing?

isnt the chassis legs ive checked them for rust not long ago and they was solid, havent checked the steering rack yet but will give it a look over thanks