Battery for 2003 Nevada

I need to replace the battery on my 2003 Nevada. The current one (only 3 years old) is a Lion 114 Lead Acid but it has not held its charge very well. The alternative seems to be the Westco but I have seen mixed reports about that as well. All suggestions welcome!

Helen

The recommended battery for MK1 - MK2.5 cars is always the original panasonic

Agree with Rhino the Panasonic battery is the perfect choice for your MX5- my car is the same age as yours and it works well. In addition it’s designed to fit properly and has the correct vent pipes which other brands may not have.

I also invested in a smart charger this year and bought the CTEK MXS 5.0 to keep it in tip top condition. Worth considering if your MX5 isn’t used frequently.

Some Mazda main dealers offer a discount to MX5 owners club members so worth checking the price of a Panasonic there too.

That’s really helpful - thankyou. Have just ordered the Panasonic and will into the charger for next winter.

Good decision.

You can’t go wrong with one of these and a good battery conditioner. 

My MK1 is off the road for at least 4 months and the poor, abused panasonic still lasts at least double the length of time I could possibly hope for from anything else ie 15 years +

Keep voltage above 12.3volts and if the battery seems to lose charge a little too quickly, look for a parasitic drain issue.