Battery for mk1

1. My model of MX-5 is: __1994 MK1 Eunos 1.8

Hi, it looks like the cold has killed the battery on my 94 Eunos.
The dead battery I’ve removed is a Hankook MF54523
I’ve owned the car for over 8 years and this is the battery that came in the car.

It seems the general opionion is to replace with a OEM Panasonic gel battery.
The Panasonic has a capacity of 32AH and the Hankook 45AH.

Given the fact the Hankook is £41.19 and the Panasonic is £129.95 is it rearly worth spending the extra £88.76.

Any thoughts and opinions much appreciated.

Many thanks.

D.

1 Like

No.
:heart:

I returned a new Panasonic after 5 days, it discharged itself & only carries a 12 month warranty, that says a lot. Replaced with a larger 064 Bosch (with 5yrs warranty) plus a G19 Engineering Battery clamp, heres a list for less than the over priced useless Panasonic. I hope this helps - MX5 063 battery set up

Bosch 063 battery Bosch Car Battery S5001 | Battery Group
Vent Pipe Battery Vent Tube / Vent Pipe | Accessories | Car Batteries | Batteries by Vehicle | Battery Group
Battery Clamp G19 Engineering - Battery Conversion Kits
T-piece Plastic Hose Joiner Tee - Silicone Vacuum T-Piece Elbow Pipe Boost Gauge Tap | eBay
Battery Mat The Original Acid Neutralising Battery Mat. Absorbs acid & dampens vibration | eBay
Battery tray https://www.amazon.co.uk/JasCherry-Rectangle-Silicone-Flexible-Bakeware/dp/B07D4GDQ4F/ref=sr_1_43?crid=2MOW11NKV7S1M&keywords=silicone+baking+tray&qid=1698605822&sprefix=silicone+baking+tray%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-43
Isolator Discarnect Car Battery Disconnect Isolator Cut-Off Switch + fuselink | eBay

1 Like

That silicone baking tray idea is brilliant!

Agreed, the silicone tray is cheap, cheerful and effective!

Thanks for the reply but as I already have the clamps, tray and breathers for the Hankook if the opinion is the Panasonic isn’t worth the extra I’ll go with that.

1 Like