Battery mystery woes

1. My model of MX-5 is: NC
  2. I’m based near: Shropshire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Battery / indicators permanently on?

Good morning gang

Have a bit of a strange one that has me flummuxed!

I recently removed my battery as it had gone too low to turn the engine over, charged it up over the week and re fitted , whilst connecting the terminals I heard a bit of a whirring noise for a few seconds, didnt think too much of it as I assumed that it was some components re energising, after about another 5 seconds, all indicators illuminated and stayed permanently on :open_mouth: I put the key in the ignition, noticed no dash lights, or even the red illuminated icon showing door open, turned the key again and the windscreen wipers came on and I can’t turn them off without removing the key completely :open_mouth: :open_mouth: All of the indicators still illuminated even without the key in the ignition

Now just to let you know, my one and only key is not working on the buttons, more to say that there aren’t any !!! I can only open the doors by inserting the key, am just hoping that I do not require the fob to allow the battery to be ‘accepted’ by their operation .

Really am stuck with this one, never had anything like this before whilst changing / replacing a battery on any other vehicles

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Does the engine turn over and start?

Hi Mr D,

Nope, absolutely diddly squat, have tested the output at the battery terminals with cables connected and its reading around 11.9V It’s a bit weird that even the dash lights do not illuminate but the indicators do and the wipers do so would assume that there is some juice coming out of the battery.

There is your answer, right there - you need a new battery and all will be well.

1 Like

11.9v is really low. Should be 12.6 or so, more if freshly charged.
This might be a silly question but could you have put the battery in the wrong way round?
Some components may tolerate reversed polarity better then others. I know ECUs don’t like it…

Then work out a way to keep it charged. Plenty of different ideas on that one, but they do drain the battery when left for long periods.

No, all good on the polarity front :+1:

That’s where I am getting a little confused, if the windscreen wipers can operate, then why wouldn’t I get any dash lights illuminate if the battery was pooped.

Can I rule out the fact that I do not have any functional working remote control on my key fob that it is not a programming issue ?
That is my main concern…for now :crossed_fingers:

Put some jump leads on from another running vehicle as a test.

1 Like

Sometimes erratic behaviour on the electrics points to water ingress an soaking that fuse board at the base of passenger A pillar. Do you keep your car outside and last time you used it all was functioning including the key fob?
One other check, a good clean tight fitting earth connection.

Hi Mick, car is garaged and has not been used since end October, so I know that is not the best for any battery :man_facepalming: keyfob has never worked, it is damaged, probably beyond repair so can only use the key for doors and starting, I would day all earths are good as no probs before battery died.
thanks for your suggestions, am on to plan B for now, will let you all know the outcome :+1:

Hi Duratec, yes, that is my current (pardon the pun :face_with_hand_over_mouth:) plan B I have another old battery that is always on charge, so I will fit that to see the outcome, just need to remove the existing battery tray / box doofa to get it in, will let you know any positive ( not again !! :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:) results
:+1:

Another thought, vermin.:thinking:

Check all wiring under the bonnet, I had mice take up residence under the plastic engine cover once, made a nest. One member has also had wires chewed, just a check you can do.

The remote door opener has nothing to do with the immobiliser system, so you can cross that off the list. Provided the key you’re using has previously worked correctly and started the car, that’s all you need.

As mentioned 11.9 volts indicates the battery is in a very low state of charge. It may be simply that connecting a very discharged battery is causing the odd behavior, as the NC ECU has to relearn the settings after the battery is disconnected and replaced.
JS

Hi John,

That is good news regards the fob / no fob / remote function, thanks for the reply. I am reading up about batteries and dark currents and all sorts on the forum…who knew, so much more to batteries than charging, discharging, :open_mouth:

Morning all,
Still having issues starting car after battery off and charge. I am using a healthy battery, over and above CCA required, am getting lights illuminating on the dash , turn the key to fire up and nothing happening, no relays etc clicking, dead silence. I have checked every fuse in the main fuse box under the bonnet and the one’s inside the car in passenger foot well, no fuses blown.
I have noticed that I am not getting the little red illumination panel on the ignition barrel to assist in the key location when it is dark, nor the door open icon at any time, also used to get the red flashing one with the key symbol in car _ if you know what I mean _ that is also no longer there. Can anyone advise if these are linked together and what fuse protects them? One other thing, could it be main 120amp fuse gone? I have tested across the 2 x exposed nuts above the 120 fuse carrier within the fusebox but not getting continuity, is the fuse located underneath in the small white carrier? My thinking is, if the 2 x 6mm exposed nuts are linked to the main fuse, they would be covered ?? so I reckon the cables and nuts are not ‘live’ I have removed the cowl from around the ignition barrel to look for loose connections etc, but all seems clean and dandy.
Am at a bit of a loss now so your help would be greatly appreciated :pray:

Battery earth to body connection?
Terminals tight enough??
Can you put the headlights on and if you can, do all the lights go off if you try to engage the starter??

Yep and yep.

Will try the headlight thing and come back to you,

cheers

That would relate to the battery terminals.
If they are fine its not that.
Can’t help wondering what would happen if you bridge those two nuts but I’m loathe to recommend trying.