BBR 175 Going for it - Wed

Well Wed is a big day for my 2.0L - NC.  It’s going in for the 175 BBR package and for Neil to work his magic !  I’m kind of unsure what to expect following the remap / manifold but instinct tells me it will make the car more sprightly !

Ad

Hello amlucas

I cannot comment on Neil’s work at BBR, but I must say the work that Paul Roddison & Clive at Autotronix

did last summer on my 2 litre Sport gave me 180 bhp & a plentiful amount of extra torque from 2.5k rpm

& a much improved throttle response.

Well pleased!!

I’m sure you will see a worthwhile improvement to.

Keith

Had my 3.5 2.0 RC done last year at BBR. When I got in it, it felt as though the handbrake had been taken off. Great job done by Neil & co

Enjoy.

So Thursday is day everyone will be asking ‘why the huge grin Ad?’

You won’t regret it BBR do great work and turn these cars into what they should be.

Had BBR’s 175 done a few months ago that turned out to be 185.6

which makes the car more driveable with the extra torque  and very pleased with the result.

Thank you everyone for your kind and informative comments…great AND “flyer” - yes , I should be driving home with a wall to wall smile - Cheers , Ad.

interested to know how this turned out?

Ditto.

Also if those who have had the 175 conversion feel that the car is still okay with this mod on standard suspension.

Echoing the other interested parties.

Still considering changing the manifold and mapping mine over winter,unless skuzzle pull a rabbit out of a hat and manage a value turbo kit 

Coming from a lowered NC1 on Eibachs to a standard NC3 I thought the slightly lower set up on the later car was good but the initial roll seemed a bit excessive, I changed the anti-roll bars to IL Motorsport alloy ones and despite my own scepticism it made a difference, it still has a fair bit of body roll but it seems much more controlled.

Other than that the car is great with the Super175, mine was closer to 187 so I was over the moon.  It’s not just about numbers, the way it drives is so much nicer, it is also a little louder but that is not a bad thing on the standard back box.

Hi,

If you only do one thing to the suspension change the anti-roll bars to IL Motorsport alloy ones it helps to stop the car rolling in corners

and is one of the best things I’ve done to my car apart from the BBR 175 which the same as pjr turned out to be 186.6 with no negatives at all.

Ned        

Thanks PJR / Ned,

That’s helpful. Interesting to hear that you both got a much higher hike in bhp than BBR are prepared to estimate.

Cheers

Mark

credit to BBR on that. they could easily have marketed that as “upto 185”, if you know what i mean.

I still think the conversion from Roddison offers better value for money. Mine was done by Autotronics and cost less than BBR

I used BBR as I am much closer to them than Pauls, Blink or Skuzzle, they will all do a good job but BBR has their own manifold

But your comparing Apples and Pears, different manifold and a different tuner with a completely different map, they are not the same. I got 174bhp with the Roddison and Autotronics upto 185bhp package and was very pleased with it, BBR with his setup regularly breaks 180bhp.

Out of interest does anybody have any numbers to how much difference these sort of packages make?

I know the bum Dyno can indicate a feeling of power increase, but is there anything that can compare a modded mx5 to other cars?

Cheers.

There’s a u tube video of I think a bbr 200 test which dropped the 0-60 time down to around 6.1 if my memory serves me correct.

i am a tad confused by the way BBR advertise this mod.

first they state…

"The BBR’s DIY ‘Super 175’ upgrade for the 2.0i Mazda Mk3 / MK3.5 MX-5 consists of the following components:-

BBR stainless steel 4 into 1 exhaust manifold
BBR StarChip ECU remap and ProEcu hardware/software bundle"

then…

BBR ‘Super 175’ package is £1095.00 fully installed at BBR (excludes ProEcu hardware / software bundle”