BBR 200 booked and any thoughts on the following helpful

Post21

Thanks

Hi Robert
Thanks for that, it’s useful to learn how it performs in real life. There is a noticeable gain throughout the rev range and also a healthy torque increase but whether it is worth the money depends on your circumstances I suppose. I haven’t bought a car yet but one which is on my radar already has the BBR conversion. I will certainly consider your advice before making my final decision.
Many thanks

1 Like

Not as yet. I will do of course!

Yes I’m sure I will. I’m really looking forward to having it done. I have to say though the suggestion of the 185 with suspension is appealing. Or should I just go for it!!!

I suppose it depends on how and where you’re going to use your car. Road wise - 185. Track/Road wise - 200. It’s pretty much at the top end of the rev range so as yourself how often you’ll be stretching it’s legs to that upper extent.

That changes things a lot, if it’s a fair price then it will be a good deal. :+1:

But to buy a standard car and then want to spend £2k on it to make 40 hp and 10/15% more torque, you would need to really really love the MK3 Mx5.

Isn’t that what we do tho - love our MX5’s ?? :joy:

I just like mine, I don’t love it. It will be sold when the weather picks up. Mk1 yes, Mk2 yes, Mk3 doesn’t have the same fun aspect for me but ULEZ and rust, well it’s good for those, so it has it place.

Hi.
If you have any issues with insurance for this type of conversion then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

I really do love mine (do I need help?) when I bought my NC I intended to keep my beautiful classic red NA but once I’d driven the NC I realised that for me, it was all the MX5 I needed.

When is your work at BBR being carried out next month? I’ve brought mine forward to the 10th feb. I’m holding off on the suspension for now, which is down to cost and to enjoy my upgrades in stages. We can compare once done.

Sounds good, going for the 200? I’m doing it the other way around, suspension around mid Feb, then BBR on 4 March. I’m now quite tempted to add the cams on top and make it effectively a Super 205 GT, even though I’m unlikely to go on track, if only for the extra overtaking performance.

It partly depends if there’s any economies of scale with the labour (awaiting the full quote), if it’s the same as a standalone fitting I might just go 185GT first then decide on the cams later.

Let us know how you get on after 10th Feb :+1:

In fact I think I’ve found the answer on cost of fitting. The difference between Super 180 vs. Super 200 is just the cams I believe, and the price differential is £960. Quite a saving over the £1495 standalone cams. I think I’ll be going 200…

That’s why I’ve gone for the 200 now, as I certainly can’t fit cams myself!

1 Like

I retract my comment above, I was comparing prices without fitting… :man_facepalming:
With fitting, there’s not much difference whether you go 180 then 200 or straight to 200 (but I’m still tempted).

How much is the cams fitted and dyno… you lot are making me jealous :joy:

That’s sounds dry cool indeed. I love the ND!

Yes but the 180 you get the full exhaust? George isn’t that what you have?

Yes I have the 185, the 180 is without the BBR mid pipe