BBR, Cobalt or Cobra backbox?

Looking to upgrade my 9 month old 2.0 184 ND to attain a more throaty sound without being deafened in the process, have seen various threads on all the above and would appreciate candid views as the Cobalt looks like the best value and makes a good sound, cheers

Hi
I had a Cobalt back box fitted to my MK3 in January and I’m very pleased with the look and sound.
I got it from Moss Europe and they were very efficient ,and kept me informed regarding the delivery etc.
There is a noticeable improvement in the sound , sounds like a sports car should sound, but not too " in your face " , but that’s just my opinion :blush:
I have covered several hundred miles since fitting it, and have noticed that the sound has taken on a slightly more muted deep throbbing sound on tickover ,which is still satisfying.
Hope this helps.
Boz

Cheers Boz, very helpful, many thanks

1 Like

I’ll have an ND Cobalt box with about 500 miles on it available in a week or so, DM me if you’re interested.

Forgot to ask in my original,post, I don’t have the jack etc to fix myself, presume a garage/ exhaust fitting centre should be able to sort, any idea of what I should be looking to pay for fitting?

If you can get the rear wheels up a few inches (with a set of ramps for example) it’s entirely possible to change the back box yourself in 30 mins or so, I’ve done this a few times now on different cars.

A garage or exhaust shop will likely charge you an hours labour and you have to transport a back box to/from there.

Check with your local Club area there’ll probably be someone with the required tools and willing to help you out.

As already stated, apparently its not too difficult to do once you jack the rear up a bit, as long as the existing bolts are not corroded on.
But as I am a total dunce when it comes to working on a car , I paid £42 to have it fitted at my local exhaust centre.
Boz

Many thanks both

1 Like

You can fit just the back box without lifting the car. Use some soapy water or hairspray on the hangers. Having had both BBR Supersports and now Cobalt, I would recommend the Cobalt as it’s half the price, quality is excellent, and fitment right first time. The BBR is also quality, but not twice as good. Moss quite often have the Cobalt in a sale for £200.

Cheers Paddyman, sound advice and great picture

If you want an exhaust just for a change in sound then maybe the Cobalt is for you. If you want a change in sound and that is more efficient then the BBR Superrsport is worth considering.

1 Like

Hi Ian
Been browsing this topic on exhaust upgrade and noticed you have/had a cobalt for sale
If you don’t mind me asking, do you find it unpleasant after a while? Or are you upgrading further?
I may be interested but distance could be an issue as I live in North Wales
Any info on exhausts in general greatly appreciated
I own a, 30AE and am only into less than 900 miles so it’s early days!
Just wondering if it’s a case of be careful what you wish for (or think would be great) in sporty exhaust notes!
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

The Cobalt is quite nice, definitely better than the standard. I have for the last four years been running a Good-Win Racing Super Street Single Tip ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbx0lLQ3TPo ) which has a removable baffle to allow you to choose from two different sound levels. Long story short the mild steel bolt holding the baffle corroded and broke when I tried to remove it, this left the baffle rattling in the tail pipe. I bought the Cobalt to try while the GWR was off with the intention of selling one of them afterwards. Nice as the Cobalt is I like the Good-Win one better so it’s going back on now it is fixed. PM me if you’re interested shipping can be arranged.
Ian

Hi Ian
Thanks for the reply, any idea of price for the Cobalt?
I’ve done a little research and listened to your link to the super street, nice… I also like the racing beat single pipe but both are £500 ish!
My other problem is that the missus has an aversion to boy racer exhaust sounds!
A neighbour’s son has 2 highly modified Jap import cars which he revs and leaves ticking over for 5 minutes every morning at 5.30!
:flushed:

2 Likes

Hi Steve,

£165 plus carriage, let me investigate that, since it came here by courier I assume I should be able to send it also. Paisley Freight say they’ll transport an exhaust for £22.99.

Hi Ian
Thanks for getting back to me,
If it’s the Cobalt I decide on then I may as well buy new, but the Goodwin or Racing beat have got my attention!
Thanks again for your time
Cheers
Steve

Hi Ian
im new to this owners club and was wondering was the Cobalt one loud at all
Cliff

A better tone, makes it sound more like a sports car :smile: