BBR MK3,5 TURBO

That sounds an intreseting proposition, can you PM some details of prices etc,  I would need to speak to the boss ( wife) :smiley: as currently it’s our daily driver but it wont be soon.

What are the bhp numbers like for the 1.8 with tubo?

As was considering getting a lot newer model & starting over.

The 1.8 as a base car is a bargain compared to 2.0 & as I would swap suspension etc could make better financial option.

Are the 1.8 engines as strong as the 2.0 ie 3.5 onward has stronger internals, breathes slightly better etc?

Hi,

No power figures available for the 1.8 at the moment, an offer of free fitting for the very first 1.8 MK3/3.5 BBR turbo?

Expect an overall power figure of approximately 25BHP less than the 2.0 BBR turbo for stages 1 & 2, this is what we have found with our SC conversions.

The 1.8 is a very sweet engine, smoother than the 2.0. I’ve run a 1.8 regularly with our stage 2 supercharger for the past couple of years 235/240BHP, the longer gearing of a 5 speed box along with a LSD from the MK3/3.5 makes it great for high speed cruising. It’s a common incorrect rumour that the 2.0 MK3.5 is stronger for FI.

Roddisons Motorsport are now proud to say we are agents for the BBR kits

My mk3 le-mans race car will be at sandringham on the 29th for all to see, please come and find me…

Paul Roddison

There have been a few alterations for production BBR Turbo Charged conversions, power graphs of final specification stage one and stage two conversions as below, many thanks to rapid ratchet:

BBR Turbo STG1 STG2

Our press release has been slightly delayed due to our stage zero turbocharged conversion. Aimed specifically for MX5 owners looking for the great power gains, aesthetics and reliability of a BBR turbo without stretching to the cost of our stage one conversion. This will complete our line up, over 85% of power available from stage one at under just 80% of the cost!

Any MX5 owners interested in driving or viewing a BBR turbocharged conversion please contact ourselves or Roddisons Motorsport, we will have our road car MK3.5 with BBR stage zero and MK3.75 with BBR stage two, Roddisons will have their mk3 le-mans race car running BBR stage three and a road car running stage one/two. We can’t wait to do the final maping/setting up of Paul’s race car next week; it’s going to be mighty!

I love coming in to this thread and reading and re-reading the info.
And i shall try harder to buy a lottery ticket or rob a bank or hold my bank manager to ransome :slight_smile:

Hi Guys 

Well i picked up my car from BBR yesterday afternoon Bloody Hell Its Quick 302BHP as you can see from the graph Neil Posted earlier  it accelerates as quick as you can change gear its mindboggling, i really noticed how quick it is on local roads nearer my home the ones you sort of know, on the ring road at the lights near porsche in leeds i gave it some stick in 1st and 2nd i thought all the other cars had selected reverse,

lets put it this way its 0-60 time can be measured in the first two gears,

On the motorway in 6th just touch the loud pedal and it takes off and pulls harder than a standard car in 3rd,

economy was really good on the motorway run, the run was about 160mls in total and about 20mls each end of the journey was A + B roads the clock showed 49.9mpg when i got home if you believe that? (See pics)  but it did have bang on half a tank left which i think is about right which is actually loads better than when it was standard.

The Feeling of having the first BBR Mazda MX5 MK3.5 in UK is Unique i suppose but i know i wont be the only one for very long, maybe i should have kept all this QUIET!!!      

I`ve added a few pics of my car, and yes my wife is a hairdresser.

Happy DaysLaughing

Rapid…Number plate tells a different story!!

Most impressed by the 49.9mpg, makes my MK2.5 Eaton M45 28mpg look well, being polite, dreadful.

Are you bringing your car to Sandringham?

Keith

Hi Keith

Yes I will be at sandringham sat afternoon & Sunday see you there cheers

146 BHP hike in while delivering around 14mpg additional mileage is incredible. That’s like bolting on a Mk2.5 Sport engine!

So G40Steve…are you finally coming round to the lure of FI after all this time?Wink

WOW that looks good figures

Took a few years but yes, the turbo is more appealing.

Turbo hot side inter cooler/ inlet cold side :slight_smile:

I think this is the way forward.

I like the idea of this, it means  I can just pop down to the shops or the hairdressers in double quick time.Wink 

We now have this fitted and mapped (thanks to Neil @ BBR)
It’s running 335bhp and 290ftlb torque stage 3

All is welcome tomorrow at sandringham to view…

Paul

Well we had a great weekend at Sandringham first long run in the BBR Turbo Good night on Saturday at the barn do and decent weather for sunday the car ran superb never missed a beat 

when you overtake i dont have the doubt of will i make it past (in safety of course) now it will make it, god its quick every time i press the pedal it really puts a smile on my face (or silly grin) 3rd gear overtakes are no problem, but now i`m getting used to it i can really work the suspension and brakes, 

so whilst at the rally i had a chat with Paul Roddison as he was there with his BBR Turbo Track Car, about future upgrades and he certainly gave me some great ideas and food for thought hes obviously the man to ask when it comes to car set up so thanks very much Paul. ill be in touch.

met up with BigKev nice to put a face to a members name and really nice to have had a chat with you cheers Kev. 

I could of spent a fortune in the mx5parts marquee but my missus kept my wallet this time around but she did buy me an MX5 model !!!

I really cant explain how good this car is now but its absolutely Fantastic its so Rapid yet so driveable you dont have to drive it like a race car all the time  it will tootle about at low revs and then pick its feet up and go when you want it to with no noticeable lag at all, it pulls so hard it any gear, under 2 thousand revs in top it pulls better than standard and still did high 40mpg when we got home, its not just a weekend car either i go to work in it every day and want to do some trackdays next year so now it really is an all round sports car Smile

Hello RR

I found your nicely understated car at Sandringham, if you removed the BBR badges (absolutely nothing against BBR)

nobody would ever know what lurks beneath the bonnet!  Never found you, guess you were either in the MX5parts tent

or chatting with Paul Roddison - very interesting guy - certainly the whole BBR/Roddison conversion gives me something

to consider.

Regards

Keith

Can the stage 2 be used with the “Powershift” automatic or is it not strong enough? I noticed the manual had to have uprated clutch.

Andy

That looks a very neat installation - I saw your car at Sandringham but never saw you! I’ll have to wait for a Y.R. run or social for you to show it to me in the flesh - so to speak. (that’s if we can keep up :wink: )

Hi Keith W

Sorry i missed you at the rally im sure well meet up sometime, i want to keep the car understated, just upgrade the parts you cant see sort of thing, like shocks and then big brakes and move up to 215 size tyres are next on the list, when funds allow.

Hi Nick1970

Sorry i missed you too, unfortunately im not going on the next run (Cumbrian Caper) but should be at the social nite on 19th, were going to silverstone to watch the mx5 races that weekend and Neil at BBR is fitting my carbon filter airbox to my car over the weekend as the guy who does his carbon work had`nt finished them when i picked my car up 

Hi Andyw

Not sure about the Powershift auto model but i`ll find out for you or you can contact Neil at BBR  01280 700800

Cheers Guys

Interesting comparison from Autocar:   Mazda MX-5 TURBO vs Ford Focus ST: can BBR’s Mazda put Ford’s all-conquering hot hatch to the sword?

The MX5 really pulls on the straits but it weird that the ST catches it so fast in turns, the MX5 should be a momentum car not the ST … Either the tires were rubish on the MX5 or the driver wasn’t pushing. And that MX5 doesn’t seem to be on standard suspension, it was at least lowered  (and Autocar pointed this out in their first review: Mazda MX5 BBR GTI Turbo first drive review). Weired…

Anyway, nice work on the powertrain and congratulations to BBR for that!

Cheers,
Adrian